The Regional History Center's postcard collection provides a unique source for photographic and artistic documentation of people, places and events, with the majority being produced during the 1900-1940 period. Many of the cards in this collection came from four manuscript collections held by the Regional History Center: W.W. Embree (RC 2); Sabin-Van Arsdale (RC 32); Kavadas (RC 50); and Hall Family (RC 117). A fair amount of the collection consists of cards depicting scenes or events from the Northern Illinois region and Illinois. Also representative in the collection are postcards of other states, national holidays and special occasions, American Indians, foreign countries, advertisements, and calendars and blotters.
For more information about this collection, please see the Center's finding aid.
- Regional History Center, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Dear Vera, School is going the same as usual. We are getting ready for thanksgiving and Xmas. I suppose you girls will be home Xmas. The Farmers Inst. will be here in about three weeks then the Treble Clef will make their first appearance at Normal. I suppose you have heard they are to give the Messiah here this winter. [?] Madrigal and orchestra I am playing with the orchestra. Give my love to Hazel. Tell her the juniors and seniors are playing Basketball to morrow. With love Zola, Sent To Miss Vera Wiswall, Oberlin, Ohio, Dascomb Cottage. [Zola Cheney was the Assistant in the Music Department], DeKalb, Educational, Place, Normal School, Education
- Regional History Center, Northern Illinois University, STARVED ROCK, ILLINOIS STATE PARK, Contains about 1,000 acres, located in La Salle County. Every foot of ground in the Park is a natural beauty spot. A tour can be made over the picturesque winding canyon drive covering miles and miles of historic scenery, or, if prefered, one may take the well-beaten Indian trails leading to all the canyons, and especially to this beautiful view, which forms the main attraction at the head of the ILLINOIS canyon., Lasalle, Place, Starved Rock State Park
- Regional History Center, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, My dear Mrs Wagner, Birthday Greeting. Try sometime when in DeKalb to visit this pretty spot, yours Mrs Herbert Fay, Wish - In "Care of Hayden Wagner," Sent To Mrs H H Wagner, Fort Sam Houston, Texas, DeKalb, Monumental, Place, Entertainment
- Regional History Center, Northern Illinois University, STARVED ROCK, ILLINOIS STATE PARK, Contains about 1,000 acres, located in La Salle County. You will be surprised when you visit this historic Park and view the beautiful nature scenes. You will climb the bluffs, and as you pass along the winding wooden Indian paths at this point, you will make some excuse to pause for the privilege of occupying, as it were, a reserved seat for this attractive spectacle of life and beauty, of which this rock, JACOB'S LADDER, upon which you rest, is itself the stage., Lasalle, Place, Starved Rock State Park
- Regional History Center, Northern Illinois University, Rochelle, Mrs Hodges 1914. Dear Emma Letter received thank you for your kind note could not come for I have a coald & the weather is to bad. we both are fealing bad and Frances has to take a part in the exercies hopeing you all have a Merry Cristmas & Happy New Year with love and best wishes to all from Aunty. Sent To: Mrs C.N. Frost, Lee Center, Lee Co, Ill's, Ogle, Medical, Place