The Regional History Center's postcard collection provides a unique source for photographic and artistic documentation of people, places and events, with the majority being produced during the 1900-1940 period. Many of the cards in this collection came from four manuscript collections held by the Regional History Center: W.W. Embree (RC 2); Sabin-Van Arsdale (RC 32); Kavadas (RC 50); and Hall Family (RC 117). A fair amount of the collection consists of cards depicting scenes or events from the Northern Illinois region and Illinois. Also representative in the collection are postcards of other states, national holidays and special occasions, American Indians, foreign countries, advertisements, and calendars and blotters.
For more information about this collection, please see the Center's finding aid.
- Regional History Center, Northern Illinois University, Rochelle, Rochelle Hospital, No[vember] 10-1914, Dear Friend. I hope you are well. Its such lovely days. I am better went out this morning for a very sho[r]t walk. hope to be home befor long. Your friend. Mrs Hodges, Sent To: Cicero Frost, Lee Centre, Illinois, Lee Co. Front of postcard contains the following: Scene in Rochelle, Ill., High School, Rochelle, Ill., Public School, Rochelle, Ill., Washington St., Rochelle, Ill., Old Quarry, Rochelle, Ill., 6th St., Rochelle, Ill., P.O. Block & Masonic Hall, Rochelle, Ill., 7th St., Rochelle, Ill., and another view of 6th St., Rochelle, Ill., Ogle, Commercial/Business, Educational, Residential, Place, Seventh Street, Sixth Street, Education
- Regional History Center, Northern Illinois University, Earlville, Thanks for the buttons. Tho I looked in vain for a word with them, you will see by the card we have been to Earlville. Went over there Sat - Mar 28 to a hobby show. Very good little show. Claude and family did their moving that day. Snowed or rained all day. Sleepy now so bye. M.C.D. Sent To: Mrs Peter Karadas, 728 N. 6th Street, DeKalb Ill, LaSalle, Place, Agriculture
- Regional History Center, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Dear 'Pickles': Will you send this to your sister Caroline. It is where she roomed and I knew she would enjoy it. How are you and who's 'It' now - are you still determined not to marry a Dr.? Give Miss Buren(?) my undying Rs. ever. M. R. B. Sent To Miss Margaret Linehan (?) Lake Geneva, Wis. Lakeside; Tudor Club located at 305 Augusta, 1903-1910. Known as Rickard Club 1912-1923., DeKalb, Residential, Place
- Regional History Center, Northern Illinois University, STARVED ROCK, ILLINOIS STATE PARK, Contains about 1,000 acres, located in La Salle County. Certain localities, like certain people, please us at first sight. Sometimes we cannot tell exactly why this is. The fact remains, however, they please us. The ILLINOIS canyon is such a palce; the scene itself is beautiful, yet we enjoy the walk, the murmur of the cascade, the rippling water in the little brook, the wild flowers beneath our feet, the echo of forest songsters all so restful. Just alone with Nature!, Lasalle, Place, Starved Rock State Park
- Regional History Center, Northern Illinois University, STARVED ROCK, ILLINOIS STATE PARK, Contains about 1,000 acres, located in La Salle County. New wonders unfold themselves at every turn in this historic Park. The scenes in the ST. LOUIS canyon are most fascinating, for everywhere here one beholds 'the fragments of an earlier world', which gives to this delightful scenery an added charm. Our State Park commission has made no mistake in reserving this property as a recreation ground for the tourist., Lasalle, Place, Starved Rock State Park