Pictures and Illustrations.
Sectional Map of St. Louis with Street DirectoryAdvertisement
Stranger's Guide to St. Louis.
The necessity of such a GUIDE BOOK as is here presented to the public is obvious to all, and, though this want has been experienced for years, this, we think, is the first complete Guide to the City of St. Louis and its surroundings ever issued.
Every stranger who visits the city, either for business or pleasure, will find this little work invaluable, as here he will find not only the location of all objects of interest, places of amusement and recreation in the city and vicinity, all public buildings, churches, institutions, hotels, &c, but to all places of interest outside of the city, he will find the routes stated, by cars or otherwise.
CITIZENS will find this a very convenient book for constant reference. By consulting the Table of Contents, the perplexity often arising as to the locality of various institutions, churches, schools, etc., will be obviated. Of course, this will not be expected to take the place of the excellent City Directory (to which we are indebted for the location of a number of institutions, etc.)
It has been our aim to portray, in a short, concise manner, "St. Louis and its Surroundings — What to see, and how to see it."
We respectfully request those who may notice any errors or omissions, to report the same to the publisher, at the Lindell Bookstore, No. 610 Washington avenue, that future editions may be as correct as possible.
Advice to Strangers.
Almost daily, persons are robbed by the various "confidence games," by lending money on immense warehouse receipts, checks, or bonds, or notes on prominent citizens — ostensibly because "it's after bank hours," but really because the holders want to swindle by converting something worthless into greenbacks. Beware of everything of the kind. Don't think you are so sharp as to be above being deceived by one of these accomplished sharpers.
Keep away from Keno Halls and Gambling Dens, unless you have money you want to throw away. Beware of new acquaintances who manifest so much interest in you as to "treat" often, and urge you to go with them to some secret "club room." They probably want to show you "the tiger."
HACKS AND CARRIAGES. — Hundreds are daily deceived and swindled by being overcharged. We have published the law regulating Hackney Carriages, Baggage Wagons, &c. Whether you hire a carriage or employ a porter, your safe way is to make a bargain in advance, and as a check, always note the number of the vehicle or porter employed, so as to report them and get redress if swindled.
City Railroads will take you to almost any portion of the city. The routes of each line are plainly stated in this work. Fare five cents.
PICKPOCKETS are found among crowds, around the doors of places of amusement, in railroad cars and omnibuses, who are very expert at their calling, and appear like gentlemen. Occasionally they will be found in an omnibus or railroad car, with their hand thrust into their overcoat pocket, which happens to be minus of a bottom; and soon the unruly hand finds its way into a gentleman's, and often into a lady's pocket, cautiously transferring the "deposits" to his own, when he immediately has occasion to take some other route. Large sums of money ought to be deposited in a bank or with some tried friend, or effectually concealed about the person, and avoid showing your money among strangers.
St. Louis. A Brief History.
A little more than a century ago the Valley of the Mississippi was the possession of the crown of France, and bore the general name of "Louisiana," though its northern half was known as "Upper Louisiana," or "The Illinois." The seat of government of all this region was then at New Orleans. In 1762, D'Abadee, then Governor General, granted to Pierre Liquest Laclede and his associates, who composed "The Louisiana Pur Company," the privilege of trading with the Indians west of the Mississippi, with authority to establish such posts as they might think proper. The next year was spent principally in exploring, and on the 15th of February, 1764, Laclede decided to establish his principal trading post here, and took formal possession of the spot, naming it ST. LOUIS. On the 3d of August, 1766, a grant of land was received by Laclede upon which to build St. Louis. In 1770 Spain obtained possession of St. Louis and Upper Louisiana. In 1803 "Louisiana" was ceded to the United States. In 1812 all Louisiana north of the 33d parallel took the name of the "Missouri Territory," and the first Legislature convened at St. Louis, and in 1816 the members of the Council Board were made elective by the people. In 1804, when the little
10French village was transferred to the American authorities, there were but two American families here, and the whole town numbered less than 1,000 souls, whose currency was deer skins. The town had only three short narrow streets, whose outside boundary "had just previously been a line of pickets, bounded by Fourth street, and whose tenements were the rude log houses." Mark the contrast in every respect!
The growth of the city, though retarded by social institutions, has been rapid. The following was the population at various periods:
1769 — 891
1795 — 925
1810 — 1,400
1820 — 4,928
1830 — 5,852
1840 — 16,469
1814 — 34,140
1850 — 74,439
1856 — 125,200
1859 — 185,587
1866 — 204,827
1867 — 225,000
At the present rate of increase, this city will contain in the year 1900 more than 1,000,000 inhabitants.
In 1866 upwards of 1,400 buildings were erected, valued at $3,500,000. The valuation of real estate and personal property on which taxes were levied in the city in 1866 was $126,877,000.
St. Louis is nearer the geographical center of the continent than any other city, and will at no distant day be the center of population. It is destined by the decrees of physical nature and the laws of development to become the great inland metropolis of this continent. "New York may be the head, but St. Louis will be the heart of America." Its commercial transportation is facilitated by the most extensive system of inland navigation in the world. It is the geographical center of a valley which embraces upwards of 1,200,000 square miles.
The growth of St. Louis will be equal to the rapid growth of the great West. "Located at the intersection of the river which traverses zones, find the railway which belts the continent,
11with divergent roads from this center to the circumference of the country, St. Louis enjoys commercial advantages which must inevitably make it the greatest inland emporium in America."
The Numbering of Houses.
For the convenience of strangers, we would state that the present system of numbering the houses fronting upon public streets is what is known as the Philadelphia plan, and was adopted here about one year ago. By observing the following rules, the reader will readily understand:
1. The odd numbers apply to the north and west sides of the streets, and the even numbers to the south and east sides.
2. On all north and south streets the numbering begins at Market street, and increases north and south at the rate of 100 numbers for each block.
3. On all streets running in a westerly direction from the river, the numbering begins at the wharf, increasing 100 numbers for each block.
4. One hundred numbers represent each block going west from the river; also, one hundred numbers represent each block either north or south from Market street. For instance: the office of the St. Louis Agricultural and Mechanical Association is at No. 513 Pine street — that is, on the north side of Pine, on the 6th block from the levee, the 7th number from the corner of Fifth street.
Parks and Public Squares.
While the public pleasure grounds of the city are neither as numerous nor extensive as they should be, and are comparatively in embryo, they will compare, in every respect,
12with those of any other western city. Prom an article in the Republican of August 4, 1867, we compile some facts, in addition to what we have learned by observation and inquiry:
LAFAYETTE PARK is in the southern portion of the city, readily reached by the Fourth street and Chouteau avenue cars. It originally embraced a whole block of the City Commons — 40 acres — but the four streets, ninety feet wide, by which the park is surrounded, have reduced its size to an area of 23 acres. The trees in this park have already grown to a considerable size. In three or four years they will give all the shade that is wanted. Shrubs and flowers, distributed in great abundance between the groves of higher shade trees, give to the park a very lively appearance. Most of the ways and roads which cross it in all directions are now covered with a clean yellow gravel. Every Thursday afternoon the best brass band of the city plays for some hours on an elevated pavilion. This is a very appropriate measure, adopted in all the cities of the old country since the commencement of the present century. Parks with public concerts are among the very best supplements to all the other institutions by which the people, especially such fast growing communities as ours, are to be educated. Courts of justice, prisons, schools and churches have been in all times insufficient to check the tendency of extravagances in a people. "Panem et circenses," said the Romans, and decent public entertainments to-day will have the same beneficial effect as they had many thousand years ago.
HYDE PARK is situated on the summit of the first hill west of the Bellefontaine road, on Salisbury street, and can be reached by cars from Fourth and Locust streets, or Fourth street and Washington avenue, or by the Fifth street line. (See City Passenger Railways in this book). This park covers an area of four city blocks, is handsomely inclosed with a substantial stone and iron fence, which is bordered by double
13rows of shade trees. Nature has done more than art towards beautifying the grounds. The stately oaks furnish a shady retreat where hundreds of children and their teachers or parents pic-nic, almost daily, during "pic-nic" season. Perhaps three hundred pic-nics of private and public schools, of white and colored folks, go there on a pilgrimage. Half a dozen and more parties often keep their innocent spring festivals there on the same day. Three lines of street cars, terminating all on Salisbury street, at certain times of the year unload uncounted numbers of pilgrims to this park. It is the people's garden of North St. Louis. They bring their meals along, sit down in clusters on the grass, take the necessary quantity of lager or soda from the bar, and are as happy as human beings can be. Nearly six thousand dollars have been spent by the city during this year for the improvement of Hyde Park; about three hundred dollars more than the appropriation.
In the center of the city three comparatively small parks are laid out, nearly all at the same distance from the river, on Market, Olive and Carr streets. The first is WASHINGTON SQUARE, on Market and Eleventh streets. It covers a parallelogram of seven hundred and ninety-two feet in length by a width of three hundred feet. About $9,000 were expended on this park during the last year.
The MISSOURI PARK is on Olive and Thirteenth. $5,204 were appropriated for it, but more than $1,500 are not yet expended. Bordered by the two largest and prettiest churches of the city, and opening on Lucas Place and Locust street, with their splendid residences, this park, though it occupies only two city blocks, will be the jewel among all. Next year, we think, it may be opened to the public.
CARR SQUARE, on Sixteenth street, is in the best trim of the three. It is inclosed with a fine iron fence, the trees are
14growing well, and the whole arrangement is already perfected. Though $1,993 were appropriated for it, only $200 were really expended during the present year.
Further out in the northern part of town we find the three round places, each separated from the other by one city block. The CLINTON, JACKSON and MONROE PLACES, on Jefferson, North Market and Warren, and between Eleventh and Twelfth streets, are circles of three hundred feet in diameter each. The two buildings of the Webster School stand on Clinton Place. The two other circular places are pretty well advanced, though not ready to be opened to the public. On Jackson Place $1,369 have been expended during the present year.
When the trees are grown and nice benches are distributed in circular little gardens, the people of these quarters, who live a considerable distance from any other shady spot, will be happy to have a place where their children can play unmolested by the dust and the incessant moving of all kinds of vehicles.
In the southern part of the town we are to have the LACLEDE and the GRAVOIS PARKS. The first covers about one and a half, the second fully two city blocks. For many years they will be amply sufficient for all the reasonable wants of our population south of Arsenal street. For the improvement of GRAVOIS PARK there is an appropriation of $3,500.
By far a more felicitous idea will be represented in the ST. LOUIS PLACE, near the new reservoir, between Sixteenth and Seventeenth streets. It is an immense parallelogram of two thousand three hundred feet in width. It will be crossed in either direction by a large macadamized street, and bordered on either side by two alleys of shade trees, like the celebrated "Linden," in Berlin, or the "Planken," in Manheim, on the Rhine. We have already stated that, though a
15sum of above twelve thousand dollars was appropriated for the immediate improvement of this place, not a dollar has been expended during the past seven months of the present year.
|NAMES.||Balance & appropriations.||Expenditures.||Overdrawn.||Unexpended.|
|Gravois Park||$3,500 00||$3,500 00|
|Lafayette Park *||13,185 15||$12,651 64||533 51|
|Washington Square||8,015 24||8,444 49||$429 25|
|Missouri Park||5,264 87||3,669 50||1,595 37|
|Carr Square||1,953 59||203 59||1,750 09|
|St. Louis Place||12,192 18||12,192 16|
|Jackson Place||2,079 44||1,369 18||710 26|
|Hyde Park||5,159 24||5,433 03||273 79|
|*$3,000 extra for teams.|
The FAIR GROUNDS, (fully described on another page,) will be found as pleasant and attractive a place of resort as any of the public parks. Open every day from 7 to 7. Admission only 10 cents.
The Fair Grounds.
To give a full description of the beautiful Fair Grounds of the "St. Louis Agricultural and Mechanical Association," in a work of this size, would be impracticable — they must be seen to be appreciated. The first fair was held in the fall of 1856, and during the succeeding four years. These grounds remained an encampment during the war, and after the close of the war were returned unsullied and uninjured, more beautiful than ever, into the hands of the association. The grounds embrace 50 acres, which, at the time of purchase, were a natural forest, and have been wonderfully improved by
17the addition of hundreds of choice trees and plants, the laying out of walks and drives, the erection of beautiful and convenient buildings for all fair purposes, the introduction of artificial ponds, mounds, &c. During the spring and summer of 1867, the committee in charge of the Fair Grounds, improvements have expended upwards of ten thousand dollars.
At the Fair of 1859 several representatives of the Eastern press were present, who had attended fairs all over the United States, and many in Europe. They pronounced this the most handsome amphitheater, and as a whole, these the most beautiful and complete Fair Grounds they had seen anywhere. Since then, eight years' growth and beauty has been added to the various imported trees and shrubs, thousands of dollars have been expended in ornamenting and perfecting the grounds and buildings, and as long as any improvement can be suggested, the company will have the money to make this, and to maintain it, the best Fair Grounds on this continent.
"Fair Week" is the gala season, not only for St. Louis, but for the people within a radius of hundreds of miles. Railroads and steamboats bring persons at half fare, and the city is a vast swarm of exhibitors and sightseers from all the country around. During some days there have been present at the Fair Grounds 80,000 persons, within the inclosure at one time. Every year the attraction is made greater by the more liberal premiums offered, and the greater variety of articles included in the competition. From the premium lists it will be seen any article you can imagine as the product of the farm, the orchard or the vineyard, the mine, the manufactory, the workshop, garden or fireside, the barn, kitchen or pantry, will be acceptable, and upon which somebody will receive a premium. The benefits, or premiums, are not confined to this city or State. Every year premiums are borne away to other and distant States. This Fair is open to the
18whole Mississippi Valley; if that is not broad enough, to the competition of the whole Union.
The Fair Grounds at present embrace fifty acres, bounded by Grand avenue, Kossuth avenue, Bryan avenue, and St. Charles plank road. Heretofore, not only have the horse cars been crowded, but wave after wave, a constant throng of "living, moving humanity," has poured through every avenue towards this great center in the most costly carriages, in omnibuses, hacks, huge farm wagons, express wagons, trotting sulkies, beer wagons, lumber wagons, carts, and everything that moves on wheels — on horses and mules, and thousands on foot. One or more of the city railway companies will extend their lines to the Fair Grounds for the accommodation of visitors. Hence, you can reach them by the cars on Franklin avenue, on Fifth street, from the corner of Washington avenue and Fourth or from Locust and Fourth streets.
Are now well set in blue grass and shaded with a beautiful grove of forest trees, and through them are winding avenues, handsomely bordered with evergreens and trees of all other kinds, while an aqueduct from the city reservoir keeps seven ornamental fountains constantly in play and furnishes an ample supply of water to every part of the grounds. Around the whole are large and commodious stalls for the accommodation of the stock, and convenient thereto is a grand Mile Drive, forty feet wide, for the exercise and speeding of horses.
Have been erected of such size and shape as not only to furnish ample room for the accommodation of visitors and exhibitors, but greatly to beautify the grounds.
The Amphitheater, by far the largest in the United States, will seat comfortably 12,000 people, upon seats raised one above the other, so that all can see. Around these seats (one above them and the other below) are two promenades, each of which will hold 12,000. Thus it will be seen that this immense structure will shelter as many as 36,000 people. Under the Amphitheater are eighty-one booths, at which visitors can be furnished with refreshments at all times.
In the center of this building is the Pagoda, around which all the fine stock will be exhibited, and in it a full brass band performs during the exhibition. The Pagoda is forty-five feet high, has three stories, and is built in the most beautiful and ornamental style.
The Floral, Mechanical, Fine Art and Textile Fabric Halls are all spacious and admirably adapted to the exhibition of such articles as may be exhibited in those departments.
The Gallinarium, thirty feet in diameter, three stories high, is made entirely of wire, and contains ninety apartments, with all the conveniences for the exhibition and keeping of Poultry.
The Machine Shop is three hundred feet long, with shafting the full length, and furnished with a steam engine for testing all kinds of machinery.
The Cottage, a perfect gem as an architectural design, contains four saloons, which are well furnished for the comfort and convenience of the ladies.
The Agricultural Department, one hundred and sixty-one feet long and fifty feet wide, will give the farmers an opportunity to sit down and examine all the modern machinery lately invented.
The Music Hall, a building eighty feet long and forty feet wide, is erected exclusively for the display of musical instruments.
Minerals, Chemicals and Natural products of Missouri will be displayed in a new octagon building, suitably arranged for that purpose.
The Horse Railroad of the Citizens' Railway Company, now completed to the Fair Grounds, will carry passengers from the corner of Fourth and Morgan streets to the Fair Grounds for ten cents a person.
The Locust street Railway, Fifth street Railway and Washington avenue Railway will carry passengers for five cents to Salisbury street, connecting there with another railway which runs to the Fair Grounds.
These four railway lines will furnish ample accommodations to convey 75,000 persons daily to the Fair Grounds.
For a four-horse coach or carriage — $2 00
two-horse coach or carriage — 1 00
two-horse buggy — 50
one-horse buggy — 50
horse — 50
each person (whether in carriage, on horse, or on foot) — 50
Each stockholder will be admitted upon presentation of his ticket.
Visitors to the Fair are requested to provide themselves with change. The ticket-sellers are instructed not to receive any bills over five dollars.
At all other times, except during "Fair week," parties can visit the grounds by paying an admission fee of ten cents each.
The Missouri Botanical Gardens.
These Gardens are situated about five miles southwest from the Court House, on Tower Grove avenue (entrance at the western terminus of Floral avenue), which begins at Grand avenue and extends west to Tower Grove avenue. On this fine, elevated site, overlooking the city from the west, and a wide range of the beautiful surrounding country, will be found probably the finest gardens in the United States — certainly by far exceeding those of any other private individual. Hon. Elizur Wright, in the Boston Commonwealth, describing these gardens, says:
"Here is a congress of the whole vegetable world — palm, and pine and cactus, all the oaks and the misletoes. How funny the representatives of Arizona, all seated side by side in a little piece of desert from the banks of the Gila! Every species of grass, grain, bulb and tuber. Flowers and freaks of leaf-painting to drive peacocks and rainbows crazy with jealousy. You have perambulated a few of the countless walks, and think you have been here fifteen minutes, but your watch insists that it is two hours. The conservatories of tropical plants and the museum of rare specimens have not yet been visited. If one man of wealth and wisdom can confer such a boon on a city, without intermitting his business or impoverishing himself, what could not the city itself do?
"If it is a settled thing that schoolhouses and churches are a good investment in a city, this splendid experiment of Mr. Shaw, which pays him nothing but the thanks of his delighted visitors, proves that a few millions expended in bringing the great system of creation home to the city would be a still better investment. Here is education, religion, health and happiness rolled into one. Would that Boston had such a Shaw, also, if not faith enough in natural history herself to supply the want of one!"
The gardens are divided into three sections, as follows:
The Herbacious and Flower Garden, embracing ten acres, contains almost every flower that can be grown in this latitude, and also contains several plant houses, in which are thousands of exotic and tropical plants. With the masses, this is the most attractive portion of the grounds. From the neat octagon pavilion or summer house, near the center, a comprehensive view is obtained of the whole inclosure, with its neat gravel walks, tastefully bordered by various kinds of plants and shrubs; of the closely-shaven turf, apparently as smooth as velvet; of the numerous divisions and subdivisions, and of the whole grounds and surrounding country.
In the Fruiticetum, or Experimental Fruit Garden, comprising six acres, are cultivated all the various kinds of fruit which grow in the open air in this climate, including forty kinds of grapes, twenty of strawberries, and all other kinds and varieties.
The Arboretum is the most extensive, comprising twenty-five acres, and embraces all the kinds of ornamental and forest trees that will grow in this climate. In this section is the Pinetum, containing all coniferous trees that will grow in this climate — of pines alone twenty-nine species; and the Quercetum, embracing all the varieties of the oak, and the Salictum, embracing about one hundred species of the willow.
The Labyrinth, or Maze, is an intricate, winding, puzzling hedge-bordered pathway, leading to the summer house in the center. The hedges embrace all varieties and are kept clipped and in good order.
The Private Garden, where the graperies are situated, is in the rear of the house.
The neat, yet substantial fire-proof building, east of Mr. Shaw's residence, is devoted to the Museum, Herbarium and
23Botanical Library, on the main floor, the Reading and Lecture Room being in the basement.
The improvements were commenced by Mr. Henry Shaw about 1857 with a design to establish an institution for the promotion of the sciences of Botany and Horticulture. To a life of business the proprietor has added this life-study of fruits and flowers. The high appreciation by the public of his princely liberality in the conception of so noble an endeavor, and the veneration and respect they entertain for the man who thus devotes years of labor and thousands of dollars annually to this singularly laudable enterprise is daily and hourly manifested by the scores and hundreds of our citizens and strangers who visit this model garden. The massive stone walls and huge iron gates are not closed against any who observe the rules of the garden.
Visitors are admitted daily, from sunrise to sunset, except on Sundays and holidays; then after 2 o'clock P. M. The average number of visitors is about six thousand per month; and while this is the most fashionable, pleasant and popular place of resort, open to all respectably attired and well-behaved persons free, the proprietor expresses himself in warm terms with the general good order and deportment of visitors.
Every visitor leaves the garden reluctantly, and is better for having been there, and the hour spent there will never be forgotten. All revere the man through whose liberality this work has been so admirably planned and thoroughly and systematically executed.
Hotels in St. Louis.
Barnum's Hotel: corner Walnut and Second streets.
Broadway Hotel: Broadway, corner of Biddle street.
City Hotel: 504 North Third street.
Clarendon House: 621 Poplar street.
Delavan House: 1106 Broadway.
Dennison House: corner of Market and Sixth streets.
Douglas House: corner of Broadway and Carr street.
Everett House: Fourth street, between Olive and Locust.
Fifth Street Hotel: corner of Fifth street and Franklin av.
Hotel de France, 417 South Fourth street.
Hotel Garni: 7 North Fifth street.
Laclede Hotel: corner Fifth and Chesnut streets, (see card)
Mound City Hotel: Broadway, corner of North Market street. N. M. R. R. depot.
National Hotel: corner of Seventh and Morgan streets.
O'Fallon House, 311 South Seventh street.
Olive Street Hotel: Second street, corner of Olive.
Pacific House, 705 Spruce street.
Paschall House: Fifth street, corner of Walnut.
Planters' House: Fourth street, between Pine and Chesnut.
Prescott House, 237 Market.
Randle House, Broadway, near Wash.
Southern Hotel: Walnut street, between Fourth and Fifth.
St. Nicholas Hotel: Fourth street, between Morgan street and Franklin avenue.
St. Clair, corner Third and Market.
St. Lawrence, Fifth street, southwest corner O'Fallon.
Washington House: corner of Sixth street and Washington avenue.
Western House, Broadway, corner Carr.
Western House, Franklin ave., corner Seventeenth.
Places of Amusement.
Abbey Race Track: St. Charles rock road, west of city limits.
Citizens' Swimming School: corner Ninth and Gratiot.
DeBar's Opera House: Pine street, between Third and Fourth. See advertisement.
Fred. Wilson's Minstrels: Fifth street, between Pine and Chesnut. See advertisement.
Gymnaseum: St. Charles, between Eighth and Ninth.
Laclede Race Course: Manchester road, west of city limits.
Mound City Trotting Park: King's highway, between St. Charles rock road and Olive street road.
Olympic Theater: Fifth street, between Walnut and Elm.
Public Bath House: Fourth street and Chouteau avenue.
Skating Park: Olive street, beyond Garrison avenue.
Skating Rink: Chesnut and Pine, Eighteenth and Nineteenth streets.
Varieties Theater: Market street, between Fifth and Sixth.
Laclede: Fifth street, between Carr and Biddle.
Mercantile Library: corner of Fifth and Locust streets.
Mozart: Fifth street, corner of Biddle.
Polytechnic: corner of Seventh and Chesnut streets.
Philharmonic: Washington avenue, corner of Fourth street.
Switzlers: Broadway, corner of O'Fallon street.
Turners: Tenth street, between Market and Walnut.
Washington: Third street, corner of Elm.
Broadway, corner Mallinkrodt street.
Broadway, corner of Monroe street.
Carondelet avenue, near Park avenue.
Eleventh street, corner of Franklin avenue.
Seventeenth street, corner of Market.
Third street, corner of Chesnut.
Broadway, corner of Salisbury street.
Broadway, corner of Monroe street.
Carondelet avenue, corner of Carroll street.
Franklin avenue, corner of Eleventh street.
Locust street, corner of Fourth.
Market street, west of Thirteenth.
Tenth street, corner of Carr.
TEMPLE OF HONOR.
1126 Fifth street, between Carr and Biddle.
Broadway, corner of O'Fallon street.
Eleventh street, corner of Wash.
Fourteenth street, corner of Jefferson.
1405 South Seventh street.
1601 Carondelet avenue.
1609 South Ninth street.
Chesnut street, between Second and Third.
1405 South Seventh street.
1601 Carondelet avenue.
Ninth street, corner of Market.
Third street, between Vine street and Washington avenue.
Broadway, corner of O'Fallon.
Eighteenth, corner of Wash street.
Eleventh, corner of Wash street.
Fourteenth, corner of Jefferson street.
Tenth, corner of Carr street.
Temperance Parlors, Mercantile Library Building, Fifth and Locust streets.
WORKINGMEN'S ASSEMBLY ROOMS.
Third street, corner of Green.
Academy of Science: Seventh street, corner of Myrtle.
Law Library: in south wing of Court House.
Mercantile: Fifth street, corner of Locust.
O'Fallon Polytechnic: Chesnut street, corner of Seventh.
Public School: Olive street, corner of Fifth.
St. Louis University: Ninth street, between Green street and Washington avenue.
Young Men's Christian Association: 405 N. Fourth street.
St. Louis Public School Library Society.
This Society was incorporated in February, 1865, and the Library now contains upwards of 10,000 volumes of works, carefully selected with regard to the wants and tastes of this community. Nearly every branch of modern standard Literature, British and American, is here well represented. It has a respectable collection of Travels; a good body of History, ancient and modern; an abundant mass of Biography, and is rich in Poetry, Essays, Works of Fiction, Theological Commentaries, School Reports, and Text Books. It has, also, many of the most valuable books of reference in the several departments of Science and Art. The books are all late publications — the very cream of all that has issued, in late years, from the American press.
On their tables are constantly kept a number of Illustrated Works, for old and young, the attractiveness of which is shown by the interest with which they are examined by those who, day and evening, pass their leisure hours in the Library. The rooms are commodious, well lighted and ventilated, and every pains have been taken to render them comfortable and attractive The Reading Room is supplied with 34 Daily Newspapers, 29 Weekly Papers and Magazines, 58 Monthlies and Quarterlies, including the leading papers, magazines and reviews of our own country and Europe — English, French and German; also, two daily papers from London, one from Paris, two from Germany, six from New York, and one or two from each of the other principal cities of the United States; papers from Edinburg and Dublin; all the leading Educational Magazines, several Medical Journals, 8 Juvenile Papers and Magazines, and the Periodicals of various Religious Denominations. Nothing has been spared that could
29render this Reading Room complete, as to reading matter, furniture, or light.
It has an ample supply of books and papers for the young, yet the chief design of the Trustees has been to create an institution where the searchers after knowledge or literary recreation, of every age and taste, may find matter exactly adapted to their wants — a great popular Library, in fine, for the citizens of St. Louis, offering them, at the lowest possible rates of membership, a pleasant place to spend their leisure hours or evenings.
SEC. 32. Any person who has been connected with the St. Louis Public Schools as officer, director, teacher, or pupil, may become a life member of the Library Society by paying the sum of twelve dollars. This amount may be paid at one time, or in annual payments of four dollars each, or in quarterly payments of one dollar each.
SEC. 33. Any person not eligible to life membership who may pay a sum not less than twenty-five dollars, or who may donate rare and valuable works, or new publications, or other property valued at not less than twenty-five dollars (if the same be accepted by the Board), shall be constituted an honorary member of the Library Society, entitled to all the privileges of regular membership, except the right to vote and hold office.
SEC. 34. The terms of annual subscription, for all persons, shall be at the rate of three dollars per annum.
The Library Rooms are open every day (except Sunday) from 10 o'clock, A. M., until 10 o'clock, P. M.
Office of Board: Olive street, corner of Fifth.
Public School Library: Olive street, corner of Fifth.
Normal School: Christy avenue, corner of Seventeenth street.
High School: Olive street, corner of Fifteenth.
Carr: Sixteenth street, corner of Carr.
Carroll: Buell and Carroll.
Charless: Kingsbury, near Gravois.
Chouteau: Cozzens, near Pratte avenue.
Clark: Seventh street, near Labadie.
Clay: corner Bellefontaine and Farrar.
Compton: Park avenue, corner —
Eliot: Pine street, corner of Fifteenth.
Eliot Branch: Pine street, near Twelfth.
Everett: Eighth street, near Cass avenue.
Franklin: Christy avenue, corner of Seventeenth street.
Gravois: Gravois and Wyoming.
Hamilton: Davies street and Twenty-fifth.
Jackson: Maiden Lane, near Reservoir.
Jefferson: Wash street and Ninth.
Jefferson Branch: Carr street and Tenth.
Laclede: Poplar street and Fifth.
Lafayette: Anne street and Decatur.
Lincoln: Eugenia street, near Pratte avenue.
Madison: Seventh street and Hickory.
Marshall: Walnut street and Sixteenth.
O'Fallon: Sixteenth street, between O'Fallon street and Cass avenue.
Webster: Jefferson street, corner of Twelfth.
Stoddard: Lucas and Ewing avenues.
31Washington: Eleventh street, near Spruce.
Webster: Jefferson street and Eleventh.
Colored School, No. 1: Fifth street, between Cerre and Gratiot.
Colored School, No. 2: Tenth street, corner of Chambers.
Colored School, No. 3: Twenty-second street, corner of Morgan.
Academies and Schools.
(Independent of the Board of Education.)
Academy of the Christian Brothers: Eighth street, corner of Cerre.
Academy of the Sacred Heart: Fifth street, between Hickory and Labadie.
African: Seventh street, between O'Fallon and Cass avenue.
Bohemian: 1623 south Twelfth street.
Bonham's Female Seminary: Pine street, corner of Sixteenth.
Boys' and Girls' Industrial School: 48 north Eighth street, near Locust.
Cathedral School: Walnut street, between Second and Third.
Clark's Academy, Olive street, west of Nineteenth street.
Concordia: Jefferson avenue, near Miami.
Cumberland Protestant Mission: Fifteenth street, corner of Chambers.
Episcopal (St. Paul's): Olive street, corner of Seventeenth.
Evangelical Lutheran: Franklin avenue, corner of Eleventh street.
Evangelical Lutheran: Cedar street, between Third and Fourth.
32Evangelical Lutheran: Jackson street, between Trudeau and Duchouquette.
Evangelical Lutheran: Fulton street, corner of Barry.
Evangelical Lutheran: Barry street, between Seventh and Eighth.
Evangelical Lutheran: Warren street, corner of Fourteenth.
Evangelical Lutheran: Jefferson avenue, between Miami and Chippewa streets.
German Evangelical: Decatur street, between Lafayette and Geyer avenue.
German Holy Ghost: Walnut street, corner of Eighth.
German Evangelical Protestant: Eighth street, corner of Mound.
German: Rosatti street, corner of Soulard.
German Southern School: Ninth street, between Emmet and Geyer avenues.
German Young Ladies' Seminary: Elm street, corner of Seventh.
Hebrew: at Synagogue, No. 77, north Sixth street.
Holy Trinity: Twelfth street, corner of Mallinckrodt.
Mary Institute: Lucas Place, between Fourteenth and Fifteenth streets.
Mission Free School: 48 north Eighth street.
Mississippi Valley Female Seminary: Pine street, corner of Seventeenth.
Normal School of Church of Holy Ghost: Eleventh street, between Carr and Biddle.
Stoddard High School: Beaumont street, corner of Washington avenue.
St. Ann's (R. C.): Biddle street, corner of Tenth.
St. Bridget's (R. C.): Twenty-fifth street, between Carr and Biddle.
St. Francis Xavier, Female: Morgan street, corner of Tenth.
33St. Francis Xavier, Male: Green street, corner of Tenth.
St. John's Evangelical: Madison street, corner of Fourteenth.
St. Joseph's Boys' School (R. C.): Biddle street, corner of Eleventh.
St. Joseph's Girls' School (R. C.): Clark avenue and Fifteenth streets.
St. Joseph's Free Academy: Fifteenth street, corner of Clark avenue.
St. Joseph's School: Marion street, corner of Fulton.
St. Joseph's Male and Female German: Eleventh street, between O'Fallon and Cass avenue.
St. Louis Institute: St. Charles street and Eleventh.
St. Louis University: corner of Ninth street and Washington avenue.
St. Laurence O'Toole's: O'Fallon street, between Fourteenth and Fifteenth.
St. Liborius: Nineteenth street, between Jefferson and North Market.
St. Mark's Evangelical: No. 25 Soulard street, corner of Jackson.
St. Mary's: Biddle street, corner of Tenth.
St. Michael's: Jefferson street, corner of Eleventh.
St. Patrick's: Biddle street corner of Sixth.
St. Peter's and St. Paul's: Seventh street, corner of Allen avenue.
St. Peter's German Evangelical: Carr street, corner of Fifteenth.
St. Philomena's Academy: Walnut street, corner of Fifth.
St. Vincent's: corner of Decatur street and Park avenue.
St. Vincent's Free School: St. Charles street, corner of Tenth.
St. Vincent's (Orphan's): Twentieth street, between O'Fallon and Cass avenue.
34St. Vincent's Girls': Fulton street, corner of Marion.
Sued St. Louis Turn Schule: Decatur street, between Julia and Carroll.
Ursuline Academy: State street, between Russell and Ann avenues.
Young Ladies' Academy of Visitation: Cass avenue, between Twenty-first and Twenty-second streets.
Colleges, Institutes and Universities.
Bryant, Stratton & Carpenter's Commercial College: corner of Fifth and Olive streets.
College of Christian Brothers: near Pacific R. R. depot.
Fielding's Academy: corner of Olive and Fifth streets.
Henderson & Stewart's Commercial College: 810 North Fifth street.
Jones' Commercial College: corner of Locust and Fourth streets. See Advertisement.
Mary Institute: Lucas place, between Fourteenth and Fifteenth streets.
Minor's Female Seminary: Chesnut street, corner Eleventh.
O'Fallon Polytechnic Institute: Chesnut street, corner of Seventh.
Rohrer's Commercial College: 212 North Fourth street.
St. Louis Institute for Boys: Pine street, corner of Twelfth.
St. Louis University: Ninth street, between Green street and Washington avenue.
University of St. Louis: Pine street, corner of Sixteenth.
Washington University: Washington avenue, corner of Seventeenth street.
Western Hebrew College: 1107 Morgan street.
Medical and Scientific.
Academy of Science: O'Fallon Hall, Myrtle and Seventh street.
Homoeopathic Dispensary: 117 North Sixth street.
Humboldt Medical College: corner Linn and Soulard sts.
Homoeopathic Medical College: Sixth street, between Pine and Chesnut.
Missouri Historical Association: Olive street, southwest corner of Fifth.
Missouri Medical College: Eighth street, corner of Gratiot.
St. Louis College of Pharmacy: 19 North Fourth street.
St. Louis Medical College: Seventh and Myrtle streets.
Good Shepherd: Seventeenth street, between Chesnut and Pine.
Guardian Angel: Menard street, corner of Marion.
House of St. Philomena: Walnut street, corner of Fifth.
Sisters of Mercy: Twenty-third street, corner of Market.
St. Joseph: Beaumont street, corner of Twenty-sixth.
Ursuline: State street, between Russell and Ann avenues.
Visitation: Cass avenue, corner of Twenty-fourth street.
Hospitals in St. Louis.
Biddle Lying-in Hospital: O'Fallon street, corner of Tenth.
City Hospital: corner of Lafayette avenue and Linn street.
German Lutheran: Seventh street, between Sydney and Lynch.
Good Samaritan: Pratte avenue, head of O'Fallon street.
Marine: Marine avenue, south of United States Arsenal.
St. Louis Hospital: Spruce street, corner of Fourth.
St. Vincent's (for insane): Ninth street, corner of Marion.
Public Buildings, etc.
Academy of Science: Seventh street, corner of Myrtle.
Arsenal: southern terminus of Fifth street railway.
Assessors, State and County: room 21, Court House.
Board of Health: 108 North Sixth street.
Board of Trade: Chesnut street, corner of Seventh.
Council Chamber: Court House.
Court House: between Fourth and Fifth. Chesnut and Market streets.
Custom House: Olive street, southeast corner of Third.
Jefferson Barracks: ten miles below the city, via I. M. R. R.
Mayor's Office: northeast wing of Court House.
Mercantile Library: corner Fifth and Locust streets.
Merchants' Exchange: Main street, between Market and Walnut.
Mullanphy Emigrant House: Fourteenth street, near Mullanphy.
O'Fallon Polytechnic Institute: Seventh and Chesnut streets.
Public School Library: Olive street, southwest corner of Fifth.
Public Bath House: Chouteau avenue and Fourth and Fifth streets.
Skating Park: Olive street, beyond Garrison avenue, (Olive street cars).
Skating Rink: Chesnut and Pine streets, between Eighteenth and Nineteenth.
[NOTE. — The best view of the city can be had from the top of the Court House — open free at all times.]
St. Louis Church History.
The first church organization in this city was by the Catholics, who were also the pioneers — the first settlers. In 1766, two years after St. Louis was founded, Father Meurin performed the rites of baptism in a tent. Pierre Laclede Liquest laid off a square for a Catholic church, which was built of logs — the pioneer church in what is now the city of St. Louis. The Cathedral, on Walnut street, near Barnums' Hotel, now occupies the site. There are now upwards of twenty Catholic churches in the city, and every year adds to the number; among them are some of the largest and most costly of any in the city.
The first effort made towards founding a Presbyterian church here was in April, 1816, by Rev. Salmon Giddings, who was sent to the Territory by the Connecticut Missionary Society. He held a meeting, called together the few Presbyterians then here, administered the Communion, and in the following year (November 17, 1817) established a church in a small building (now occupied by Wyman's Hall), on Market street, where he preached and taught school. The first Presbyterian church edifice was erected in 1825, on Fourth street, between Washington avenue and St. Charles street, long since given up to business blocks.
Rev. John M. Peck and Rev. James B. Welch called together the seven Baptists in the village on the 18th of February, 1818, and after preaching organized the nucleus from which have grown the present churches of this denomination in the city. In 1819, they commenced a church on Market and Third streets, the site of Barnum's Hotel. In 1835, they erected a second church on Third and Chesnut streets.
Rev. T. M. Post, the present efficient pastor of the "First Trinity," was the founder of the society here, and preached the first sermon in the church on Sixth street, between Washington and Franklin avenues, where his congregation worshiped till 1855, after that occupying their own building, corner of Locust and Tenth streets.
The first Episcopal service was held in September, 1819, and the society organized the following November. Rev. John Ward was the first clergyman, and during the two years of his ministry preached in the old Court House, corner of Walnut and Second streets. The first church was erected on the corner of Chesnut and Third streets; commenced in 1826 and completed in 1880.
This society dates its organization in St. Louis in 1834, the first service being held in the third story of a building on the corner of Main and Locust streets, then occupied as a Masonic hall. The first church was erected in 1837, on the
39corner of Fourth and Pine streets, and was occupied by the society till 18 — , when the present Church of the Messiah was completed and dedicated. Rev. W. G. Elliott was the first officiating clergyman, and is still pastor of the Unitarian church (assisted by his son), and has been a prominent leader in the principal educational and benevolent reforms since 1834.
Churches in St. Louis.
Eighth street, corner of Green.
First African: 417 Almond street.
First German: Fourteenth street, corner of Carr.
Fourth: Twelfth street, corner of North Market.
Third: Clark avenue, between Thirteenth and Fourteenth streets.
Second: Sixth street, corner of Locust.
Christian Church: Seventeenth street, corner of Olive.
Church of the Holy Ghost: corner of Walnut and Eighth streets.
First Cumberland: corner of Twenty-fourth and Carr sts.
First German: Autumn street, corner of Tenth.
German Cumberland: Pratte avenue and Wash street.
Reformed Presbyterian: Gamble avenue, corner of Merger street.
United Presbyterian: Locust street, corner of Fifth.
First Trinity: Locust street: corner of Tenth.
Pilgrim: Washington and Union avenues.
Christ Church: Locust and Thirteenth streets.
Grace: Warren street, between Eleventh and Twelfth.
Mission: Laveille street, near St. Ange.
St. George's: Locust street, corner of Seventh.
St. John's: Spruce street, corner of Sixth.
Trinity: Washington avenue, corner of Eleventh street.
Immanuel: Franklin avenue, corner of Eleventh street.
Trinity: 1805 Fulton street, corner of Lafayette.
St. John's: Madison street, corner of Fourteenth.
St. Mark's: Soulard street, corner of Jackson.
St. Paul's: 1810 Decatur street.
St. Peter's: Carr street, corner of Fifteenth.
Bethlehem: Salisbury street, corner of Thirteenth.
— , corner of Morgan street and Sixteenth.
Bnai el Congregation: Cerre street, corner of Sixth.
United Hebrew: Sixth street, near Locust.
Independent Evangelical Protestant.
Southwest corner of Mound and Eighth streets.
First German: Benton street, corner of Thirteenth.
Second German: Wash street, between Tenth and Eleventh.
Third German: 1701 Fulton street, corner of Soulard.
First African: Seventh street, between Cass avenue and O'Fallon street.
First Union: Locust street, corner of Eleventh.
Second Union: Sixth street, between Franklin avenue and Wash street.
Free Methodist: Gay street, corner of Fifteenth.
North Mission (S. S.): Benton street, corner Thirteenth.
Simpson Chapel: North Market and Tenth streets.
St. Paul's African: Eleventh street, head of Green.
Union City Mission (S. S.): Soulard street, corner of Eighth.
Methodist Episcopal (Southern).
First: Washington avenue, corner of Eighth street.
St. John's: corner of Locust street and Ewing avenue.
St. Paul's: Jefferson street, corner of Fourteenth.
Wesley Chapel: Chouteau avenue, corner of Eighth.
New Jerusalem Church.
Corner St. Charles and Sixth streets.
German: Howard street, corner of Fourteenth.
Presbyterian (N. S.)
First: Lucas place, corner Fourteenth street.
North: corner of Chambers and Eleventh streets.
Presbyterian (O. S.)
Central: Locust street, corner of Eighth.
Pine Street: Pine street, corner of Eleventh.
Providence: Webster street.
Second: Walnut street, corner of Fifth.
Sixteenth Street: Walnut street, corner of Sixteenth.
Cathedral: Walnut street, between Second and Third.
Church of the Annunciation: Chouteau avenue, corner of Sixth street.
Church of the Assumption: corner of Eighth and Sidney streets.
Church of the Holy Angels: Chouteau avenue.
Holy Trinity: Mallinkrodt street, corner of Eleventh.
Immaculate Conception: Chesnut street, corner of Eighth.
St. Bridgett's: Pratte avenue, corner of Carr street.
St. Prancis Xavier's: corner of Green and Ninth.
St. Nepomucene (Bohemian): 1623 South Twelfth street.
St. John's: Chesnut street, corner of Sixteenth.
St. Joseph's: Biddle street, corner of Eleventh.
St. Liborius (German): Nineteenth street, between Warren and North Market.
St. Lawrence O'Toole's: O'Fallon street, corner of Fourteenth.
St. Malachi's: corner of Clark avenue and Summit street.
St. Mary's (German): Third street, between Cedar and Mulberry.
St. Michael's: Jefferson street, corner of Eleventh.
St. Nicholas: Christy avenue, corner of Twenty-first street.
St. Patrick's: Biddle street, corner of Sixth.
St. Peter and St. Paul's: corner of Allen avenue and Seventh street.
43St. Theresa's: Grand avenue.
St. Vincent de Paul's: corner of Park avenue and Decatur street.
Society of Spiritualists.
Meet every Sunday at Polytechnic Hall, Seventh and Chesnut streets.
Church of the Messiah: Olive street, corner of Ninth.
Biddle Infant Asylum: O'Fallon street, corner of Tenth.
Biddle Widow's Home: same.
Blind Asylum: Morgan and Twentieth streets.
City Mission House: Eighth street, between Locust and St. Charles.
Episcopal Orphan's Home: 1100 North Market street.
German Protestant Orphan's Home: Office at Hospital, Pratte avenue.
Girls' Industrial Home: Morgan street, corner of Nineteenth.
Infant Orphan Asylum: Menard street, corner of Marion.
Lasalle Orphan Institute: corner Marion and Menard.
Methodist Orphan Home: 1743 North Twelfth street.
Missouri Institute for the Education of the Blind: Morgan street.
Orphan's Home: Eleventh street, near North Market.
Protestant Orphan Asylum: Seventh street, between Franklin avenue and Morgan street.
St. Ann's (R. C.): Biddle street, corner of Tenth.
St. Vincent's Male and Female Asylum: Twentieth street, between O'Fallon street and Cass avenue.
St. Louis House of Refuge: Osage street, near Compton avenue.
City Passenger Railways.
BELLEFONTAINE RAILWAY COMPANY — (Red Oars). — From Fourth street west on Washington avenue to Eleventh street, north to Thirteenth street, north to Bellefontaine road, north to Salisbury street and Hyde Park (2 3/4 miles).
LINDELL RAILWAY COMPANY — (Yellow Cars). — From Fourth street west along Washington avenue to Leffingwell avenue (1 3/4 miles), and return same route, passing near Missouri Park, Mary Institute, Lucas Place, the Normal School, Franklin School and Washington University.
LINDELL RAILWAY COMPANY — (Blue Cars). — From Fourth street west along Washington avenue to Fourteenth street, south to Gratiot, west to Seventeenth, south to Chouteau avenue, west to Summit avenue (2 3/4 miles), and return same route, passing Missouri Park, Lucas Place, Mary Institute, to Pacific Railroad shops, and within two blocks of Lafayette Park.
PEOPLE'S RAILWAY COMPANY — (Yellow Cars). — From Morgan street south along Fourth street to Chouteau avenue, to Second street and Carondelet avenue, to Park avenue and
45Lafayette Park (2 1/2 miles), connecting with cars to Grand avenue (1 1/2 miles) for Compton Hill, Tower Grove, Missouri Botanical Gardens, etc.
TOWER GROVE AND LAFAYETTE PARK COMPANY — (Red Cars). — From Morgan street south along Fourth street to Lombard, south to Third street, south to Jackson, to Carroll, northwest to Linn street, west to Lafayette avenue and Lafayette Park (3 miles); connects with cars (1 1/2 miles) for Compton Hill, Tower Grove, Botanical Gardens, etc.
TOWER GROVE AND LAFAYETTE PARK COMPANY — (Green Cars). — From Morgan street south along Fourth to Lombard, east to Third street, south to Jackson, south to Anna (2 3/4 miles), three blocks from U. S. Arsenal.
CITIZENS RAILWAY COMPANY — (Yellow Cars). — From Fourth street west along Franklin avenue to Easton avenue, northwest to Company's stables beyond Grand avenue, on St. Charles rock road (3 miles); passes near Normal School and Blind Asylum. Connects at Three-mile House with Suburban Railway cars to Abbey Race Trade, Mound City Trotting Park, Cote Brilliant, Mont Cabanne and Aubert Place (1 3/4 miles). Connects at Grand avenue with the Fair Grounds and Suburban Railway Company cars for the Fair Grounds (1 1/4 miles).
MISSOURI RAILWAY COMPANY — (Yellow Cars). — From Fourth street west along Olive to Garrison avenue (2 miles), connecting with cars for Grand avenue, same fare, (3/4 mile), passing the High School, Skating Park, etc.
MISSOURI RAILWAY COMPANY — (Yellow Oars). — From Fourth street west along Market street to Sixth, north to Chesnut, west to Nineteenth, south to Market, north to Summit avenue, south to Clarke avenue.
ST. LOUIS RAILWAY COMPANY — (Yellow Cars). — From Olive street south along Fifth street to Clarke avenue, west to Seventh street, south to Carondelet avenue, Carondelet road, below the Arsenal and city limits (5 miles). From Olive street north along Fifth street, Broadway and Bellefontaine road to Grand avenue and northern city limits (3 3/4 miles). Whole length of road 91/2 miles; fare, 5 cents. Connects at northern city limits with omnibus line for Lowell, Cavalry and Belfontaine Cemeteries and Six Mile House; also for Fair Grounds. Connects at southern terminus with buss for Carondelet.
UNION RAILWAY COMPANY — (Yellow Cars). — From Fourth street west on Locust street to Sixth, north to O'Fallon, west to Seventeenth, north to Chambers, east to Sixteenth, north to Fourteenth, to Salisbury street and Hyde Park (3 miles), passing near Jackson Place, Webster School, O'Fallon School, Mullanphy Immigrant House, etc.
Railroad Offices and Depots.
Atlantic and Great Western: Office 5 Southern Hotel. North Missouri: under Planters' House; depot Second and North Market streets.
47Ohio and Mississippi: 203 Fourth street; depot East St. Louis.
Pacific of Missouri: under Planters' House; depot Seventh street.
Pennsylvania Central: under Planters' House.
St. Louis and Chicago: corner of Fourth and Pine streets, under Planters' House.
Indianapolis & St. Louis Railroad Line: 105 north Fourth street, under Planters' House.
St. Louis and Iron Mountain: Main street, corner of Plum.
Express, Transportation, Packets and Telegraph.
Adams' Express: corner of Main and Chesnut streets.
American Express: corner of Locust and Fourth streets.
Major's Express: Chesnut street, between Main and Second.
Merchant's Union Express: 314 Third street, between Olive and Locust.
United States Express: North Fourth street, corner of St. Charles.
Mississippi Valley Transportation: foot of Plum street.
Great Western Dispatch: North Fourth street, corner of St. Charles.
Merchant's Dispatch: 400 North Fourth street.
"Star Union Line": Olive street, between Third and Fourth.
Allentown Railroad Line: 309 Olive street.
"Blue Line": northest corner of Third and Pine streets.
"Empire Line": 307 Pine street.
"Red Line": corner Second and Pine streets.
"White Line": 109 Locust street.
St. Louis and Pacific Express Freight: 209 North Third st.
48Atlantic and Great Western Railroad Time Line: 5 Southern Hotel.
Detroit and St. Louis Railroad Line: corner of Third and Pine streets.
Ohio and Mississippi: 206 South Fourth street.
Pennsylvania Central Railroad Line: 220 Commercial st.
St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern Railroad: Main street, corner of Plum.
St. Louis and Chicago Railroad: corner of Third and Pine streets.
Terre Haute, Alton and St. Louis Railroad: 202 South Fourth street.
Atlantic and Mississippi Steamship Company: wharf-boat foot of Almond street.
Illinois River Packet Company: foot of Spruce street.
Keokuk Packet Company: wharf-boat foot of Chesnut st.
Memphis and St. Louis Packet Company: wharf-boat foot of Pine street. Mississippi & Arkansas Transportation Company: 210 north Commercial.
Naples Packet Company: wharf-boat foot of Plum street.
New York Mail Steamship Company: 209 North Third st.
Northern Line Packet Company: wharf-boat foot of Washington avenue.
Union Telegraph Offices: 206 Olive street.
Banks in St. Louis.
Accommodation: Chesnut street, corner of Third.
Aull, Pollard & Renick: 213 north Third street.
Allen, Copp & Nisbet: north Second street, corner of Chesnut.
Benvolent Loan: Olive street, between Third and Fourth.
Bennoist, L. A. & Co.: 304 north Main street.
Butchers' & Drovers': Fifth street, corner of Morgan.
Camp, J. P.: Washington avenue, between Third and Fourth streets.
Clark Bros. & Co.: Main street, southwest corner of Olive.
Commercial: Olive street, corner of Second.
Corn Exchange: 16 south Main street.
Darby, J. F. & Co.: 214 north Main street.
Dwight Durkee: 508 north Main street.
Exchange: Third street, near Olive.
First National: Carondelet avenue and Fifth street.
Fourth National: Washington avenue, corner of Third street.
Gaylord, Leavenworth & Co.: 215 Olive street.
Haskell & Co.: corner of Main and Vine streets.
International: 226 Market street.
Loker, Gr. A. & Bro.: 261 north Second.
Mechanics': Second street, corner of Pine.
Merchants' National: Main street, corner of Locust.
Miltenberger, E. & Co.: 301 north Main street.
National, of Missouri: Pine and Third streets.
National Loan: 210 Third street.
Provident Savings: Olive street, between Fifth and Sixth.
St. Louis National: Olive street, corner of Third.
Second National: Third street, one door south of Post Office.
Taussig, Gem & Co.: 305 Olive street, near Third.
Tesson & Son: Pine street, corner of Second.
Third National: Second street, near Pine.
Union National: 210 Olive street.
Biddle Market: 1216 Biddle street.
Boatmans': Second street, corner of Pine.
Central: 312 north Third street.
Citizens': 516 north Third street.
Corn Exchange: 16 south Main street.
Franklin: 8 south Main street.
Franklin Avenue: Sixth street and Franklin avenue
German: Main street, corner of Market.
Home Savings Bank: Jefferson street and Broadway,
Missouri Benevolent: 318 Olive street.
Peoples': Fifth street, corner of Park avenue.
Provident: 513 Olive street, between Fifth and Sixth
Real Estate: 610 Olive street.
St. Louis Building: 202 north Second street.
State: Main street, corner of Vine.
Union: Main street, corner of Walnut.
United States: Market street, corner of Second.
St. Louis Markets.
Biddle: Thirteenth street, between Biddle and O'Fallon.
Broadway: 940 Broadway.
Carr: Wash street, between Twenty-Fourth and Twenty-fifth.
Central: Seventh street, between Spruce and Poplar.
Lucas: Twelfth street, between Olive and Chesnut.
Magwire: Magwire street, between Broadway and Ninth.
Mound: Broadway, junction of Seventh street.
North Market: north Broadway.
Reservoir: Eighteenth street, near the Reservoir.
St. George: Carondelet avenue, corner of Sidney street.
Soulard: Seventh street, between Carroll and Julia.
Sturgeon: North Market street, between Broadway and Ninth.
Union: between Fifth and Sixth streets, and Green and Morgan.
"The Press" of St. Louis.
There are upwards of thirty newspapers and periodical publications in this city; the name and location of each are given in the City Directory. The following list embraces the daily papers:
Democrat: corner of Pine and Fourth streets.
Republican: Chesnut street, between Main and Second.
Times: 206 north Third street, near Post Office.
Dispatch: 313 north Third street.
Anzeiger des Westens: 15 north Third street.
Volks Zeitung: Market street, between Third and Fourth.
Westliche Post: 118 Chesnut street.
St. Louis Price Current: 8 Olive street.
Commercial Bulletin: 412 Pine street.
St. Louis Journal of Commerce: northwest corner of Third and Olive streets.
Legal Record and Advertiser: Pine street, near Third.
The "St. Louis Press Club" is a new organization, whose hall is 213 Chesnut street, where the press gang "most do congregate."
The Bellefontaine is owned by an association, incorporated in 1849, and embraces 221 acres. This is to St. Louis, what Greenwood, Laurel Hill and Auburn are to the Atlantic cities; and the commanding position, the natural beauty, and the artistic manner in which the grounds have been improved, render it one of the most beautiful spots about the city. The Roman Catholic cemetery, adjoining, was established in 1852. The sites of both these "cities of the dead" are on the Bellefontaine road, about five miles from the Court House — both richly wooded, and beautifully diversified and ornamented, and well adapted for the sacred purposes for which they have been consecrated. [Take Fifth street cars to city limits, north, there connecting with omnibus for the cemeteries, or Six-mile House.]
The following list embraces the cemeteries of the city:
Baptist: Lemp avenue, near Cherokee street.
Bellefontaine: six miles north, on Bellefontaine road.
Calvary: On Bellefontaine road, six miles north.
Christ Church: Chouteau avenue, near Grand.
City Cemetery: Jefferson avenue, between Wyoming street and Arsenal road.
Episcopal: near Park avenue on La Motte street.
German Evangelical: Lemp avenue, near Potomac street.
Hebrew: on Gravois road, eight miles from the city.
Holy Ghost: Kansas street, near Wyoming.
Holy Trinity: on Bellefontaine road.
Jewish: on Chouteau Mill road.
New Picker: on Gravois road, eight miles from the city.
New Saxon: on Gravois road, seven miles from the city.
Old Picker: on Gravois road, three miles from the city.
Rock Spring: on Clayton road, west of Rock Spring.
St. Vincent: Park avenue, corner of Lafayette.
Salem: on St. Charles road, seven miles from the city.
Wesleyan: Grand avenue, near Lindell avenue.
United Hebrew: On Pratt avenue, corner of Pacific Railroad.
First District — Police Headquarters: Chesnut street, between Second and Third.
Sub-station: Wedge House.
Second District: Carondelet avenue, between Soulard street and Lafayette avenue.
Sub-station: Lafayette avenue.
Third District: Fifth street, between Biddle and O'Fallon.
Sub-station: Garrison avenue and St. Charles rock road.
Fourth District: southwest corner of Twelfth and Monroe streets.
St. Louis Fire Alarm Telegraph.
Location of Stations.
No. 1. Southeast corner Biddle and Levee.
No. 2. Southeast corner Cherry and Levee.
No. 3. Northwest corner Carr and Main.
No. 4. Southeast corner O'Fallon and Lewis.
No. 5. Southwest corner Cherry and Second.
No. 6. Northwest corner Broadway and Franklin avenue.
No. 7. New City Market, Broadway and Biddle.
No. 8. Southeast corner Columbia and Broadway.
No. 9. Northeast corner Cass avenue and Eighth.
No. 12. Southwest corner Biddle and Seventh.
No. 13. Southeast corner Wash and Sixth.
No. 14. Northwest corner Green and Sixth.
No. 15. Southwest corner Wash and Eighth.
No. 16. Southwest corner Morgan and Ninth.
No. 17. Franklin Engine House, Eleventh street.
No. 18. Northwest corner O'Fallon and Ninth.
54No. 19. Southwest corner O'Fallon and High.
No. 21. Northwest corner Franklin avenue and Twelfth.
No. 23. Northwest corner Eleventh and Green.
No. 24. Southwest corner Fifteenth and Franklin avenue.
No. 25. Northwest corner Carr and Fourteenth.
No. 26. Southeast corner Locust and Third.
No. 27. Northwest corner Walnut and Fourth.
No. 28. Southeast corner Main and Plum.
No. 31. Southeast corner Washington avenue and Fourth.
No. 32. Southwest corner Washington avenue and Main.
No. 34. Locust and Levee.
No. 35. Southwest corner Olive and Main.
No. 36. Corner Chesnut and Levee.
No. 37. Chesnut Street Police Station.
No. 41. Northwest corner Pine and Fourth.
No. 42. Southwest corner Locust and Fifth.
No. 43. Hook and Ladder House, Seventh street.
No. 45. Southwest corner Washington avenue and Eighth.
No. 46. Northeast corner Locust and Ninth.
No. 51. Southeast corner Olive and Twelfth.
No. 52. Southwest corner Olive and Fourteenth.
No. 53. Deluge Engine House, Market and Fifteenth.
No. 54. Southeast corner Market and Twelfth.
No. 61. Northeast corner Chesnut and Tenth.
No. 62. Southwest corner Market and Eighth.
No. 63. Southwest corner Walnut and Main.
No. 64. Corner Myrtle street and Levee.
No. 71. Southwest corner Elm and Third.
No. 72. Southeast corner Elm and Seventh.
No. 73. Northwest corner Clark avenue and Tenth.
No. 81. Southwest corner Spruce and Fourteenth.
No. 82. Washington Engine House, Fifth and Almond.
No. 91. Northwest corner Almond and Main.
No. 121. Northwest corner Chouteau avenue and Fourteenth.
55No. 123. Southwest corner Orchard and Barlow.
No. 124. Northwest corner Gratiot and Seventh.
No. 125. Southeast corner Plum and Fourth.
No. 126. Northwest corner Chouteau avenue and Fourth.
No. 127. Southwest corner Lombard and Third.
No. 131. Northwest corner Convent and Second.
No. 132. Underwriter Engine House, Carondelet avenue
No. 134. Southeast corner Hickory and Eighth.
No. 135. Southwest corner Hickory and Grattan.
No. 136. Northwest corner Hickory and Laveille.
No. 141. Southwest corner Rutger and Ninth.
No. 142. Southeast corner Park avenue and Menard.
No. 143. Northwest corner Fulton and Marion.
No. 145. Southeast corner Jackson and Marion.
No. 151. Northeast corner Carondelet and Lafayette.
No. 152. Southwest corner Decatur and Soulard.
No. 153. Southwest corner Rosatti and Soulard.
No. 154. Northwest corner Geyer avenue and Rosatti.
No. 161. Southeast corner Ann avenue and Menard.
No. 162. Northeast corner Ann avenue and Seventh.
No. 163. Southwest corner Lesperance and DeKalb.
No. 164. Corner Buena Vista and Eliza.
No. 171. Northwest corner Columbus and Lami,
No. 172. Thornton Engine House, corner Barton and Easton.
No. 181. Southwest corner Sidney and Columbus.
No. 212. Southeast corner Lynch and Seventh.
No. 213. Southwest coroner Carondelet avenue and Pestalozzi.
No. 214. Northwest corner Carondelet avenue and Wall.
No. 215. Gravois road, near Jefferson avenue.
No. 216. Corner Emmett and Linn.
No. 217. Northeast corner Soulard and Linn.
No. 218. Inside the St. Louis Arsenal.
No. 231. Park avenue and Second Carondelet avenue.
56No. 282. Corner Chouteau avenue and Missouri avenue.
No. 234. Southwest corner Adolph and Clark avenue.
No. 285. Corner Market and Eighteenth.
No. 241. Northeast corner Clark avenue and Sixteenth.
No. 242. Southeast corner Pine and Seventeenth.
No. 248. Southwest corner Washington av. and Seventeenth.
No. 245. Northwest corner Cass avenue and Sixteenth.
No. 251. Northeast corner Biddle and Sixteenth.
No. 252. Southeast corner Franklin avenue and Seventeenth.
No. 253. Blind Asylum, Morgan and Twentieth.
No. 254. Southwest corner Wash and Twentieth.
No. 261. Northwest corner Biddle and Nineteenth.
No. 262. Southeast corner O'Fallon and Twenty-second.
No. 271. Union Engine House, Twenty-third and Franklin av.
No. 312. Southeast corner Carr and Twenty-fourth.
No. 313. Southeast corner Pratte avenue and Morgan.
No. 314. Southwest corner Pratte avenue and Olive.
No. 315. Southwest corner Clark avenue and Naomi.
No. 316. Southeast corner Clark avenue and Emily.
No. 317. Woodruff Engine House, Jefferson av. and Estelle.
No. 321. Wedge House, west end of Market street.
No. 323. Leffingwell avenue and Washington avenue.
No. 324. Southwest corner Garrison avenue and Easton.
No. 325. Southwest corner Franklin avenue and Alby.
No. 341. Northeast corner Mullanphy and Main.
No. 342. Lyon Engine House, Broadway.
No. 343. Northeast corner Howard and Tenth.
No. 345. Northeast corner Cass avenue and Thirteenth.
No. 351. Corner Mullanphy and Sixteenth.
No. 352. Southeast corner Madison and Fourteenth.
No. 353. Southeast corner Brooklyn and Twelfth.
No. 361. Northeast corner Chambers and Tenth.
No. 362. Sturgeon Market, Broadway.
No. 363. Southeast corner Benton and Eleventh.
57No. 371. Northeast corner North Market and Fourteenth.
No. 372. Southeast corner Warren and Fifteenth.
No. 373. Northwest corner Spring and Tenth.
No. 381. Northwest corner Harrison and Broadway.
No. 382. Southeast corner Buchanan and Ninth.
No. 383. Northwest corner Salisbury and Broadway.
No. 384. Veto Engine House, Salisbury and Twelfth.
No. 385. Northwest corner Salisbury and Kossuth.
No. 386. Southeast corner Angelica and Broadway.
DIRECTIONS. — If a fire is discovered in your vicinity, go to the nearest box, pull the hook all the way down and immediately release it; wait a few minutes, and if you hear no tap in the box, or alarm from the bells, pull the hook again; if still no tapping in the box or alarm from the bells, go to the next nearest box and pull the hook as before.
If convenient, wait at the box and direct the firemen to the fire.
N. B. — Complaints concerning the working of the Fire Alarm Telegraph, irregular striking of the bells or tapping of the boxes, broken wires, etc., should IN ALL CASES be made at the Fire Alarm Office, Court House.
C. W. HAMMOND, Superintendent.
First — For conveying one or more passengers a distance of not exceeding one mile, one dollar.
Second — For the use of any Hackney Carriage or Wagon by the hour, with one or more passengers, with the privilege of going from place to place, and stopping as often as required, two dollars for the first hour, and one dollar and a half for each succeeding hour.
For hauling ten blocks, 40 cents. Any distance over ten blocks shall be according to agreement. If there is no agreement, the charge to be in the same proportion that ten blocks is to forty cents.
Any owner or driver of vehicle, who, when required, shall fail, neglect or refuse to convey any passenger or his baggage, unless at the time actually otherwise employed, and any such person who shall demand for conveying persons or property more than the sums allowed by this Ordinance, shall forfeit and pay not less than $5 nor more than $100. (According to Ordinance 5,411, Article 1, Section 17.)
The owners or drivers of all hackney carriages, or other vehicles, used for transportation of persons, shall keep a copy of the above placed conspicuously in said vehicle.
10 Washington Av., ST. LOUIS, MO.
Keeps an assortment of
Pocket Books, Albums,
Gold Pens & Photographs,
And a Fine Stock of
Novels of Every Description,
&c., &c., &c.
Second Hand, Scientific, Law and Medical Works bought and sold.
PINE STREET, BET. THIRD AND FOURTH.
During the Season all the
WILL APPEAR IN RAPID SUCCESSION.
NEW SCENERY, PROPERTIES AND WARDROBES
Have been furnished, to give due effect to the production of all the latest productions of the Dramatists of
EUROPE AND AMERICA.
Dress Circle, Orchestra Chairs and Balcony, — 75 Cents.
ST. CHARLES THEATRE
Entirely refitted, redecorated and refurnished, under the direction of MONS. LEON POMAREDE.
ODD FELLOWS' HALL,
CORNER OF FOURTH & LOCUST STREETS,
JONES' COMMERCIAL COLLEGE is conducted upon the only feasible plan which can be adopted to produce competent practical accountants. It combines the demonstrations of the science of the school with the actual business of the counting house, under the immediate personal control of a practical accountant, who previously to adopting teaching as a profession, served a regular apprenticeship to the business in one of the best houses in the West.
Many of the students in attendance spend one portion of each day in the school, and the remaining part of the same day in journalizing and posting the books of their employers. It is now pretty generally understood in this community that the direct way to secure a reliable book-keeper is to select a young gentleman of good moral character, active business habits, familiarized with the ordinary routine of the office, send him to JONES' COMMERCIAL COLLEGE, have him complete a thorough course, and put him at once in charge of your books.
For circulars call at the office of the Book-keeping Department, corner of Fourth and Locust streets, or address,
(Successor to BRUENING & WEHRKAMP) Importer of FRENCH, GERMAN, ENGLISH AND DOMESTIC
FANCY GOODS AND TOYS
No. 11 SOUTH FIFTH STREET, Bet. Market & Walnut, near Southern Hotel, ST. LOUIS.
— AND DEALERS IN —
IMPORTED WINES AND LIQUORS
Scotch Ale, London and Dublin Porter,
PRESERVES, PICKLES, SAUCES, &c.,
N. W. Cor. Seventh St. and Washington Ave., ST. LOUIS.
A. S. MERMOD. D. C. JACCARD. C. F. MATHEY.
(Late of E. JACCARD & CO.,)
Under Odd Fellows' Hall, No. 401 & 403 Fourth St.,
CORNER OF LOCUST, — ST. LOUIS, MO.
Diamonds, Jewelry, Silver and Plated Ware. DIAMONDS RE-SET. WATCHES AND JEWELRY REPAIRED.
— AND —
GENTS' FURNISHING GOODS,
Nos. 600 & 602 FOURTH STREET,
N. E. corner Washington avenue,
ST. LOUIS, MO.
Successor to FALLON & WRIGHT,
Nos. 419 & 421 N. FIFTH ST.,
ALL WORK SOLD GUARANTEED AS REPRESENTED.
— AND —
No, 216 N, TWELFTH STREET,
Second door from Olive, ST. LOUIS, MO.
Corner Third and Pine Sts., opp. DeBar's Opera House,
Pupils Received at all Times. Soirees given on every FRIDAY EVENING during the Season.
Perfumery, Toilet Soaps, Brushes, Sponges,
WINES AND LIQUORS, &c., &c.,
Corner Sixth and Washington Avenue, ST. LOUIS, MO. Physicians Prescriptions carefully compounded at all hours.
— CITY —
Package and Baggage Express.
Between Fourth and Fifth, ST. LOUIS, MO.
HAS REMOVED HIS
PHOTOGRAPH GALLERY AND STUDIO
TO THE N. W. COR. FIFTH AND OLIVE STS.,
Nos. 301 and 303 FIFTH STREET,
Entrance, No. 509 Olive Street, ST. LOUIS, MO.
ST. LOUIS SAW WORKS.
Nos. 116 & 118 Vine St.,
ST. LOUIS STEAM
Dyeing, Scouring, Finishing
— AND —
No. 5 S. FOURTH STREET,
Bet. Market and Walnut, West Side, SAINT LOUIS, MO.
The advertiser dyes in every variety of color, all descriptions of Silk and Woolen Dresses, Italian and Canton Crapes, Moreen and Damask, Merino and Silk Velvet, Straw and Horsehair Bonnets, and all kinds of Mixed Goods.
He also cleans the following goods in a superior manner, such as Crape, Woolen and Broche Shawls, Silk and Merino Dresses, Piano and Table Covers, Carpets and Rugs. Every description of gentlemens' garments cleaned and dyed without ripping.
Particular attention paid to all Canton Fabrics, heavy and embroidered Crape Shawls cleaned and bleached in a pure white; also dyed and finished in the latest Paris and New York style. Heavy Satin and Velvet Dyed and original texture preserved.
NEW YORK AND BALTIMORE
Oyster Saloon & Depot,
No. 104 N. THIRD ST.,
(Between Chesnut & Pine,)
ST. LOUIS, MO.
PROMPTLY ATTENDED TO.
NEW MARBLE BUILDING,
No. 513 OLIVE STREET,
Bet. Fifth and Sixth streets, ST. LOUIS, MO.
James Smith, Geo. P. Plant, Chas. H. Peck,
Henry Hitchcock, S. A. Ranlett, Levin H. Baker,
Geo. Partridge, J. W. M'Intyre.
Deposits made by MARRIED WOMEN of their own money, and in their own names, cannot be drawn by their husbands.
Administrators, Executors, Guardians, Curators, Professional men, Boatmen, Mechanics, Laborers, servants, and all other persons, will find security and profit in depositing in this institution.
LIFE INS. CO.
OF ST. LOUIS.
ISAAC L. GARRISON, — Vice President.
GEORGE H. BENDER, — Secretary. THOMAS JESSOP, — General Agent.
E. H. GREGORY, M. D., Consulting Physician.
E. M. JORDAN, M. D., Medical Examiner.
SHARP & BROADHEAD, Legal Advisers.
THERON BARNUM, formerly of Barnums Hotel.
ISAAC L. GARRISON, President Home Mutual Insurance Co.
D. T. WRIGHT, President Western Mutual Insurance Co.
JOS. HODGMAN, Vice President Home Savings Bank.
JOS W. BRANCH, of Branch, Crookes & Co.
B. W. ALEXANDER, of B. W. Alexander & Sons.
GEO. M, FICHTENKAM, Secretary Board of Public Schools.
CHRISTIAN STAEHLIN, Brewer, St. Louis, Mo.
GEO. H. BENDER, Secretary Missouri Life Insurance Co.
ALL KINDS OF POLICIES ISSUED AT EQUITABLE RATES,
Non-Forfeitable Policies issued on all tables. None but unexceptionable risks accepted. Business conducted on a purely Cash basis.
SAINT LOUIS, MO.
NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSET
One of the most popular and effectual Cough Remedies ever introduced into the Mississippi Valley.
Coughs, Colds, Hoarseness, Asthma, Bronchitis, &c., &c.
J. H. BARNARD & Co., Druggists, St. Louis.
Prepared and sold by
H. C. BARNARD, Druggist,
Northeast corner Eleventh and Morgan streets.
Warranted to invigorate the scalp, and promote the growth of the hair and make it soft and glossy.
PERIODICALS, CHEAP PUBLICATIONS,
Opposite the Court House, ST. LOUIS, MO.
506 Sixth St., near Washington Ave.
No. 1224 WASHINGTON AVE.
ONE OF THE GREATEST INVENTIONS
SAINT LOUIS, MO.
This elegant first-class Hotel, a five story marble building is now open for Guests, at the corner of Fifth and Chesnut streets, being on the fashionable promenade of the city, and very convenient to the business centre, and all places of amusement.
The street cars pass the door every three minutes, connecting this central location with all the distant portions of the city — the Pacific Railroad, North Missouri Railroad and Iron Mountain Railroad Depots.
The Furniture, Beds, Bedding, and whole outfit of the House is new, and complete with all approved new appliances for first-class Hotel keeping.
The table will be kept supplied with the best the market affords, and every effort made to secure the comfort of our patrons.
BROLASKI & MALIN.
TERMS: $4.00 PER DAY.
P. S. Our Coaches or Omnibuses will be in attendance on the arrival of Trains or Steamboats to convey guests to the Hotel.
Tickets over all the Railroad or Steamboat Routes can be had at the Office.
WINES AND LIQUORS,
With gentlemen in charge of long experience in bar-keeping. This saloon is constantly open day and night.
CIGAR AND NEWSSTAND
Containing the choicest brands of
CIGARS AND TOBACCO,
FANCY SOAPS AND PERFUMERY,
All the Daily Newspapers and Weekly Illustrated, in the Country.
The Proprietors, Messrs. JONES & McCULLOUGH, are both long and well known — Mr. Jones, for thirteen years, connected with steamboats as Pass Agent, and Mr. McCullough, for years past, has been the worthy representative of the New York and Erie Railroad.
The undersigned will be found at the Saloon at all hours, where they will be happy to see those who may wish to patronize them.
S. E. Cor. Third & Pine, ST. LOUIS.
ST. LOUIS, MO.
CORNER SEVENTH AND MORGAN STS.
PATENT SODA WATER FOUNTAINS
OF EVERY DESCRIPTION.
Constantly on hand latest improved Marble and Silver Apparatuses, Fountains, Generators, Coolers, &c. Also, Manufacturers of Fountain Mineral Waters, Fruit Essences and Syrups.
Wholesale and retail Factory and Laboratory,
LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY
OFFICE, No. 513 OLIVE STREET,
BETWEEN FIFTH AND SIXTH.
D. A. JANUARY — President.
JAMES H. LUCAS — Vice President.
WM. T. SELBY — Secretary.
WM. N. BENTON — General Agent.
DR. JOHN T. HODGEN — Consulting Physician.
CLINE & JAMISON — Legal Advisers.
WM. M. McPHETERS — Examining Physician,
(At Office of the Company, daily, from 12 to 1 and 3 to 4 P. M.)
James H. Lucas, Henry Overstolz, Samuel Willi,
Nich. Schaeffer, Theodore Laveille, William T. Gay,
Chas. H. Peck, Wm. C. Jamison, Robt. K. Woods,
R. P. Hanenkamp, Jules Valle, L. H. Baker,
Geo, R. Robinson, D. A. January, Robert E. Carr,
Wm. J. Lewis, John F. Thornton, F. Rozier, Jr.,
David K. Ferguson, Jacob Tamm, Hon. Jno. Hogan.
As a Western Institution, destined to hold a place among the first in the country, we solicit the patronage of the Great West and South, and believing our interests identical, and possessing advantages equal, if not superior, to any like institutions, we request your influence and support, with every confidence that your best anticipations will have fall realization in the management and future of the Company.
BOOKSELLER & STATIONER
No. 320 N. FIFTH ST.,
Opp. Mercantile Library Saint Louis.
FRENCH, SCOTCH, ENGLISH AND AMERICAN
PAPER AND ENVELOPES.
WEDDING & VISITING CARDS.
"Missouri As It Is in 1867," "The Missorri Hand
Book," "The Geological Map of Missouri," &c.,
May be Consulted or Addressed at
420 WALNUT ST.,
UNDER SOUTHERN HOTEL,
Respecting Judicious Investments in Farming,
Fruit Growing, Mining, Manufacturing,
&c., &c., &c.
Nature has done as much for Missouri as any other State. What we now want, is to develop her wonderful natural resources and advantages by the introduction of men and capital; and there is no better field for the investments of capital, or the employment of enterprise and talent anywhere.
Parties desiring LARGE TRACTS FOR COLONIES; or to locate land with Cash, Warrants, or Agricultural College Scrip, or under the Homestead or Pre-Eruption Laws; or to purchase low-priced lands; or those who hold Duplicates, and wish their titles perfected, will find it to their interest to correspond with me.
With a cordial invitation to one and all to come to Missouri, and to visit me when they come, (at 420 Walnut street, under Southern Hotel,)
I remain, respectfully, their obedient servant,
NATHAN H. PARKER.
Hon. FRANCIS RODMAN, Secretary of State.
Hon. JARED E. SMITH, Register, Jefferson City.
Hon. JAMES HABLAN, M C., Iowa.
JAS. E. YEATMAN, Cashier Merchants' Nat. Bank, St. Louis.
Hon. C. H. BRANSCOMB, St. Louis. EDITORS DEMOCRAT, St. Louis.
S. A. RANLETT, Cashier Provident Savings Institution. St. Louis.
DWIGHT DURKEE, Banker, St. Louis. PRATT & Fox, St. Louis.
I. H. STURGEON, President North Missouri Railroad.
J. FOGG, Proprietor's Planters' House, St. Louis.
519 & 521 MAIN STREET
ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI
Desire to call the attention of the trade to their present stock of
STAPLE AND FANCY
Will find it to their Interest to examine our stock before making any purchases.
519 & 521 MAIN STREET, ST. LOUIS.
ST. LOUIS, MO.,
Fourth Street, between Olive and Locust.
REPAINTED INSIDE AND OUT,
And Improvements made, making it
IN ALL RESPECTS
Book & Job Printer,
Blank Book Manufacturer,
S. E. Cor. 5th & Pine, ST. LOUIS
Real Estate Agent
Bought and Sold on Commission.
Lands for sale in every County.
Real Estate and other Securities Negotiated
Invested in large or small amounts and to Loan.
Under Southern Hotel, ST. LOUIS, MO.
Examining Surgeon for the Pension Bureau
Will also give particular attention to the treatment of
CHRONIC & SPECIAL DISEASES
DISEASES OF THE SKIN.
Nos. 701 & 703 St Charles St.,
N. W. CORNER OF SEVENTH.
Occupying TWO ENTIRE HOUSES, Dr. W. has ample accommodations for patients from abroad, or who may desire to avail themselves of his more immediate care and attention.