494. Augustus K. Riggin (William H. Herndon Interview).
[March 7, 1887]
Gustavus Riggin — once Clk of Menard Cir Co Said that during a Court in 1842 of Menard Co Lamborn — Douglas — Logan — Stuart &c many of the big lawyers of the State attended Court — and that his father attended Court during that Session — Father Said to me — "I wish I could raise a Son as big as Lincoln is bound to be if he lives — I have heard all three men speak at the bar and on the stump for some years and Lincoln is the greatest of them all. I say this to you, my son, though I am a democrat"
Library of Congress: Herndon-Weik Collection. Manuscript Division. Library of Congress. Washington, D.C. 3842
1. This belongs to the same set of notes as §492, dated March 7, 1887.
2. Josiah Lamborn, Stephen A. Douglas, Stephen T. Logan, and John T. Stuart.
3. Harry Riggin, a founder of the village of Athens.
4. Marginal note: T B Turner certificate (survey) Athens Ills.