Hymn 3. L. M.
WORDS BY W. L. GARRISON.
TUNE — WELLS.
1. The hour of freedom! come it must —
Oh, hasten it in mercy, Heaven!
When all, who grovel in the dust,
Shall stand erect, their fetters riven.
2. When glorious freedom shall be won.
By every caste, complexion, clime,
When tyranny shall be o'erthrown,
And color cease to be a crime.
3. Friend of the poor, long-suff'ring Lord!
This guilty land from ruin save;
Let justice sheathe her glitt'ring sword,
And mercy rescue from the grave.
4. And ye, who are like cattle sold,
Ignobly trodden like the earth,
And barter'd constantly for gold,
Your souls debased from their high birth.
5. Bear meekly still your cruel woes,
Light follows darkness, comfort, pain;
So time shall give you sweet repose,
And sever ev'ry hateful chain.