Primary tabs


Hooker Safe In His Old Camp.


He Retires on Account of the Impracticability of position.



Stoneman goes within 2 miles of the Rebel Capitol.

He could Have Captured the whole Rebel Government.


Interesting Southern News.

Active Operations to be Resumed soon.

NEW YORK, May 8. — The Times' Washington dispatch, dated quarter past eleven last night,says Brig. Gen. Stoughton arrived from Richmond. He says that on Monday morning farmers rushed into Richmond with the news of Stoneman's appearance in the suburbs and were gobbling up every body as prisoners. Bells were rung and fearful consternation ensued. Families packed up their goods and the military guard at Libby Prison were ordered to the fortifications.

The panic continued till Tuesday morning when it was known that Stoneman was on his way down the peninsula.

Stoughton states that Stoneman's force went within sight of Richmond, and one of our officers and one or two men were captured within only a mile and a quarter of Richmond.

There were only four hundred troops in Richmond.

The Herald has a letter from a prisoner named Vanburg, dated Richmond, 5th, stating the alarm felt there on Sunday, and no doubt if Stoneman's force, or a portion of it, had entered Richmond on Sunday night, which they could easily have done, they could have seized Jeff Davis and his whole Cabinet, with a majority of the rebel Congress; could have burnt the bridges across the James river and cut off all communication southward.

Lieut. Marsh, of the 12th Illinois cavalry, who was captured on Monday at Tunshill Station, states that Percy Windham's brigade tore up the track of the Orange & Alexandria road on Saturday, burning rails, taking prisoners, &c.

On Saturday evening Col. Davis captured a train of 500 rebels at Ashland Station. — The men were paroled but the rebel Colonel, Major and other officers were taken off by Davis. He then proceeded to Tunshill Station, where he met 20,000 rebels and had a severe skirmish. Davis' force was only 400, and it was his design to reach Yorktown, which probably he has done. The whole number of prisoners captured by Davis and Windham is over 1,000.

A Washington dispatch states that Longstreet's force was pushed through on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, before Stoneman cut connections.

The Herald's special states that General Stone has been assigned to duty with Gen. Banks.

The Times' special states that Sigel has resumed command of his old corps in place of Carl Schurz.

The Tribune has the following from Fairfax C. H., Tuesday: A young man, a brakeman on the railroad from Gordonsville to Culpepper, reached here this evening. He states he left Gordonsville on Saturday, coming by way of Madison Court House and James City across Hazel river and Rappahannock. Near Beverly Ford he encountered 25 of the black horse cavalry. He lost his horse and took to the woods and escaped. He says that on Saturday morning Fitz Hugh Lee passed through Gordonsville from Culpepper on Friday; that there was fighting with Stoneman's force on Saturday evening at Louisa Court House; that the Union cavalry force were also at Caldwell station between Gordonsville and Charlottesville, and the train that left Gordonsville for the latter place was obliged to return.

The train between Gordonsville and Richmond had ceased running, and that our forces were at Culpepper.

There were about 1,200 rebel infantry and 200 or 300 cavalry at Gordonsville.

He heard heavy firing this morning while at Rappahannock station.

Three trains were at Gordonsville, but could not get away as the roads were cut.

The Tribune says Gen. Stoughton states that he was informed by rebel officers who were at Charleston during the fight, that Sumter was on the point of surrender when our Monitors hauled off.

A Tribune's special dispatch says General Averill is placed under arrest and his command given to Gen. Pleasanton by Hooker in consequence of returning without having executed his orders.