Primary tabs


The Very Latest.

Details of the Recent Victories.


Lee's Retreat a Rout.

18,000 Prisoners.



Gen. Warren Relieved of Command.


New York Stock & Produce Market.

Returns from Ohio Elections.


NEW YORK, April 4. — Of Saturday's operations, the Tribune's correspondent says, that at 7 a.m., the 5th corps was again in motion, passing to the left, along White Oak road, to join Sheridan, and executing the difficult movement of marching by the flank in the presence of the enemy; withdrawing divisions in the rear of each other, and marching them off successively from right to left; the left division, Crawford's, executing the same movement by brigades.

While this was taking place, the 2d corps moved toward White Oak by a more direct route, and established connection with the right of the 5th corps.

In the meanwhile Sheridan with four cavalry divisions was passing around the left of the whole army, going through Dinwiddie Court House, but being joined by Warren's corps, he again took the offensive, and in turn, drove the enemy, captured a position known as Five Forks, together with about 400 prisoners and several batteries of artillery. He was then joined by Miles' division, of the 2d corps, and pushed westward for the South-side railroad. This he soon reached and took position upon it.

The 5th corps, supporting the cavalry, also took 15 guns and about 2,000 prisoners, thus enabling Sheridan to drive back the force which, on Friday p.m., checked his advance near Dinwiddie Court House.

On receiving this news it was determined to give the enemy no time to send troops to their right, and at once a simultaneous attack was ordered all along the lines by the 9th, 6th, 24th and 2d corps.

The order was given about 9 o'clock at night. In less than an hour a furious assault began on the rebel entrenchments in front of the several commands, resulting in the enemy being driven in confusion from their first into their second line of works, with the loss of over 5,000 prisoners, several forts and about twenty pieces of artillery.

The 2d corps were engaged all day in their front, and in spite of the terrible fire of musketry poured into their ranks and behind their works, they succeeded in maintaining their new line several hundred yards in advance of the line they occupied in the morning.

The 24th corps occupied the centre of our line, its left connecting with the 2d at Hatcher's Run, and its right joining the left of the 6th corps.

Before daylight on Sunday morning the rebels made a furious assault on the position of this line, driving a portion of the 3d brigade from their breastworks and capturing about 100 men. Their success, however, did not last long. The 20th Pennsylvania, by a gallant charge, drove them back beyond their first battle line.

A sharp fire of musketry was kept up all day by both sides. Owing to the hot fire by our sharpshooters the enemy was unable to work his guns. Consequently very few casualties occurred to our side from shells. Our batteries, however, rained an incessant storm of shot and shell into their intrenchments.

There was but little fighting in front of the 6th corps until night, when considerable shelling occurred.

Quiet also reigned in front of the 9th corps.

So matters stood until 10 o'clock when the second corps was started into sharper attention by firing shots on their front. Soon swelling in battling volleys, the batteries joined in the clamor. The firing spread rapidly to the front of the 24th corps, and on to the 6th, then away to the right, until it reached the 9th about 11 o'clock, at which time the fighting was at its height.

Presently cheers broke out on the front of the 2d corps as the fire slackened. By 2:30 the firing had nearly ceased along the whole line.

At 4 o'clock in the morning it suddenly broke out again nearer than ever to the 2d corps, while sharp artillery practice was heard away to the right; and again the crash of battle sped from end to end of the line.

The World's correspondent recounts the attack on the Petersburg defences. It was to take place Friday morning, at 4 o'clock, but the failure on our left was doubtless the cause of the postponement.

The plan of this last phase of the action was this:

General Grant, on receipt of the news of Sheridan's victory at Five Forks, immediately dispatched couriers, in conjunction with the telegraph leading to his headquarters, to each of the corps commanders, desiring them, without loss of time, to open with both artillery and infantry upon the works of Petersburg. Sheridan, it will be remembered, attained his success at 7:30, Saturday night, at 9 Grant hearing it, and before 10 our columns had passed the picket line, and were on their way to the rebel entrenchments. Parke on the right, Wright on the center, and Ord on the left, moved almost at the same instant.

The sixth corps (Wright's) were arranged in double line of battle, and without ceremony they threw themselves en masse in the ditch and up the parapet. The contest was short, though terrible and desperate, a hand to hand conflict occurred, the deadly bayonet lunge; the impulsive and fitful crashes of musket and revolver; the crossing of swords; the volley now and then, when our boys poured in enfilading fires and down the inside of the parapet, the yells and groans; the galloping of couriers to and fro, from end to end of the lines. In places the ditch were heaped with living and dying combatants tumbled together promiscuously, but every now and then northern cheers told how the conflict went on each side of the 6th corps. The scene was the same opposite Fort Hill.

The rebels had a fort called Fort Heaven, at which they fought like Satan's legions.