Primary tabs


From the 27th Illinois.

Special Correspondence of the Whig & Republican.


MARIETTA, GA., June 27th, '64.

We have had another hard fight during a terrible rain storm. The regiment was engaged with the enemy behind his works, and we were in short range for four hours, in which time we fired twenty thousand rounds of ammunition. We were in such a position that we had to keep up a constant fire to prevent the enemy from killing us all from behind his breast work. This position our regiment held, till night should give us time to build works. When night came the works were made. In the morning the enemy had gone, retreated to another line, and at daylight we followed until day before yesterday. It had rained for 12 days almost steady, but now is clear and hot. For forty out of the fifty two days out we have been under the fire of the enemy day and night. In the battle of Saturday we lost three killed and twenty wounded; besides more five or six on different days by stray balls. This brings our loss in killed and wounded up to the present time, to sixteen brave boys killed and seventy-six wounded, an aggregate of 92. This leaves 227 effective men in the regiment. God only knows, if this continues, how many, if any of the brave 27th will be left to be mustered out on the 6th of September.

That a victory, and a great one, yes a series of them, has been gained, and that we will do all we set out to do no one here doubts, but how long yet no one knows. We have driven the enemy already out of seven lines of fortifications between here and Tunnell Hill, and are now confronting the eighth line, which is Kenesaw Mountain line, and protects Marietta. We have had more hard fighting here by part of the army, in which the rebels have suffered much. They are making a desperate stand here. Their next line will be the Chattahoochie in front of Atlanta, fifteen miles from our present camp.

From a private letter to friends in this city we get the following additional particulars concerning the fight on the 27th:



Early yesterday morning we received orders to march to the right at daylight, which we did, arriving there about 4 o'clock A. M. Express orders were given not to fire a shot until we were in possession of the breastworks which we were to take. Our brigade, Gen. Harker commanding, was to make the charge, with the 2d brigade of Davis' division of the 14th army corps, commanded by Gen. Morgan, of Quincy, for our support on our right, and another brigade for support on our left. At 10 o'clock A. M. the 10th and 16th Illinois passed us on this way to the right, carrying nothing but their cartridge boxes and guns. A few moments afterwards Gen. Harker gave us orders to take the advance. At 10 1/2 A. M. we moved out with a loud cheer, which drove the rebel skirmishers back without a shot, and ere we were fully aware we found ourselves exposed to the heaviest cross fire we were ever in yet, still pushing on, however, although the balls seemed to come from all directions, cutting down many of us. A few moments afterwards we were obliged to come to a sudden halt, as we could not advance over the brow of the hill without sacrificing the whole command. Our color bearer rushed forward about twenty yards and planted his flag on the very top of the rebel breastworks, when just then a ball cut his nether lip, and ere he was aware he received a second ball through the right arm. He still held his position until he received a bayonet stab through the breast, passing entirely through his body. At this last wound his flag fell from his grasp, and he staggered back to the rear and the flag fell over into the rebel breastworks, there being no one near to pick it up after it had fallen from the grasp of four men, some of whom were instantly killed and others wounded. A few moments afterward we received orders to fall back, when we came somewhat in confusion, as retreating is ten times harder than advancing.

General Harker, of the brigade, was wounded in the action, and died a little after noon yesterday. During the half hour engagement our regiment lost in killed, wounded and missing 45 men, and musters at the present moment only 129 men bearing arms. Our brigade lost one-fifth of its number yesterday, which is nearly 600 men. Of our company only two men are gone, one of whom I think is killed, shot in the head by a rebel musket ball. I am the only one of this company that saw him fall, and I am not certain that he was instantly killed. His name was Jacob Wust, form Quincy, and was once a student under Professor H. Koch at the Quincy Seminary. Valentine Phirman, of Quincy, was wounded in the leg, below the knee, and is now in the hospital.