Primary tabs


By Telegraph.

Exclusively for the Daily Argus.




The Battle Continues During the Night!


The Battle to be Renewed Sunday.

Special to Tribune:

Army of Virginia, 6 miles south of Culpepper C.H., Aug. 10. — A battle was fought yesterday, between Banks and Stonewall Jackson.

Gen. Bayard, of McDowell's corps, with his cavalry brigade, had been engaged the day before, in the extreme advance, near the Rapidan river, skirmishing and maneuvering, taking some prisoners and ending with slight loss, baffling the efforts of a large force to surround and cut them off.

Yesterday morning he was engaged for some hours before Banks came up, and with four regiments of cavalry, the 1st Pennsylvania, 1st Maine and 1st Rhode Island, delayed and embarrassed the enemy's advance.

The rebels under Jackson and Ewell had crossed the Rapidan, in force, and their advance guard, 15,000 strong, was attacked by Banks, yesterday afternoon, about 6 miles south of Culpepper C. H. The fight was almost wholly with artillery, at first, but infantry became engaged about 6 o'clock, and a determined and most bloody contest ensued.

Banks' right wing, under Gen. Williams, suffered severely.

The rebel position was in the woods, while the troops which attacked them were obliged to cross open ground.

It was not until about 6 o'clock that it became evident that the rebels were attacking in force. Previous to that there had been rather desultory cannonade. The whole rebel force suddenly attacked in overwhelming numbers, at all points. Nearly all their regiments had full ranks.

At 7:20 o'clock Gen. Pope arrived on the field from Culpepper accompanied by McDowell and part of McDowell's corps.

The battle was substantially over, Banks holding the same ground he occupied at the beginning.

After the arrival of Pope there was an artillery contest lasting at intervals till near 2 o'clock at night.

The night was unusually clear and the moon full.

The rebels planted a battery against McDowell's centre, where Gens. Pope and Banks were, bringing their fire to bear upon both. The generals were so near the rebel lines that a sudden charge of rebel cavalry was made from the woods, a quarter of a mile off, with a view to capture them.

The attempt was repulsed by a vigorous fire from McDowell's troops, and the generals and their staffs left the ground under a cross fire from the rebels and their own troops.

The fire of the rebel batteries was afterwards silenced.

Pope on arriving sent fresh troops to the front to take the place of Banks' exhausted columns.

The enemy did not renew the fight except by artillery.

The valor and gallantry of our troops were conspicuous throughout a large portion of the fight, but when overpowered by numbers some regiments retreated in disorder.

Col. Knight, 46th Pa., is dangerously wounded.

Lieut. Col. Solfridge, severely wounded; Maj. Mathews, arm amputated; Adjt. Boyd, wounded severely, all of the same regiment.

Of the 28th N. Y., Col. Donnelly, Lieut. Col. Brown had an arm amputated, and Maj. Cook was killed.

Col. Chapman, 5th Conn., wounded and a prisoner, and Lieut. Col. Stone killed, and Maj. Blake wounded and a prisoner — both of the 5th Conn.

Of the Mass. —th, Maj. Savage is missing, and probably killed. He was left on the field in a dying condition.

Capt. Abbott was killed.

Gen. Banks was severely hurt by an accident. A cavalry trooper ran against him striking him heavily in the side.

Col. Ruggles, chief of Gen. Pope's staff, had a horse shot under him.

Lieut. Hopkins, 7th Ohio, is wounded.

Two of Gen. Pope's body guards were killed.

The 2d Massachusetts was in the hardest of the fight, and suffered severely.

The 5th Conn., 29th Ind. and 46th Pa. are badly cut up.

Lieut. Ramsey, of Banks' staff, had his horse shot under him.

The rebel General Windor was wounded.

The losses were very heavy on both sides — not less than 2,000 or 3,000 in killed, wounded and missing, on each side.

Some prisoners were taken by both sides.

Jackson and Ewell were both present in the battle.

Reinforcements were received by the enemy, under Gen. A. P. Hill, to the amount of 18,000 men at about the same time last night that ours arrived.

Skirmishing in front is going on, this morning, but the troops on both sides are so much exhausted by fatigue and intense heat that no serious engagement is expected today.

No details have been officially received.

It is represented that Gens. Prince, Auger and Geary were wounded.

NEW YORK, Aug. 11th. — Herald's account of the fight says Gen. Geary's brigade, of Auger's division, had the advance, and maintained it admirably.

Geary's brigade consisted of the 5th, 7th and 29th Ohio, 28th Pa., and Snapp's battery.

No sooner had these troops taken their position than the rebels opened a musketry fire upon them, from two sides and in front.

The batteries, in the meantime, also kept up a disastrous fire; but our troops never faltered.

The fight became general at 5:30 p.m. and continued till darkness ended the carnage.

I have witnessed many battles during this [unknown line(s)]

Gen. Saxon is mortally wounded.

The rebel force was from 40,000 to 50,000.

Gen. Auger is wounded, but not dangerously.

Gen. Geary is severely wounded.

Gen. Banks had his horse shot under him.

Culpepper is one vast hospital, though the most of the wounded will be sent to Washington for treatment.

Two pieces of artillery and a large number of small arms were captured from the enemy.

A Washington dispatch contains the following:

Gov. Sprague was roused this morning at daylight by a special messenger, and started immediately for Burnside's army.

It has been believed for sometime that Gen. Burnside and Pope were in some way to cooperate in present movements, and this sudden sending for Sprague is interpreted as indicating speedy activity. Matters are not stagnating at Fredericksburg, by any means.

It is now considered certain that there has been heavy fighting at Gordonsville, on Saturday afternoon and perhaps today.

Two trains of cars left Alexandria this morning for the wounded.

Advices from other quarters indicate that our government had not been confined to Pope's army alone, Gen. Pope is understood to be too busy to send reports.